Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four (Starling)

"Are you sure we shouldn't check on them?" Daimonas asked as we sat in his room in front of the television that was playing the very first season of Spongebob and occasional episodes of Invader Zim.

I tried not to laugh at how innocent he was. He'd been suggesting we pop in on Newell and Xed ever since we heard Newell cry out. According to Daimonas, Newell didn't make those sounds. It wasn't normal and it scared him, but I assured Newell was definitely okay. If anything, he sounded like he was more than okay. He was a screamer, definitely.

"They're okay," I assured Daimonas for the billionth time as I sat back against the bed, holding him to my chest as we sat cuddled together, "Just ignore them." Daimonas seemed hesitant to forget at first until another episode of Spongebob started and he lost himself singing along with the theme song. I smirked at that, then glanced out the corner of my eye at Dominik, who was sitting beside me on the bed, but he was just dead silent.

He hadn't said a word since we left the hospital.

Part of me was wondering if it was because of the bombshells we dropped on him. Well, yeah, that probably had a lot to do with it. We just informed him he was a fairy changeling and he had super powers he was gonna have to use to fight an evil gang of bloodsucking vampires to help protect not only himself, but a demon, a dragon, a merman, and another vampire.

The fact that he wasn't stark-raving mad and screaming about fairy god parents like the freak from the TV show showed me that maybe he wasn't the timid little thing he made himself out to be.

But even knowing he had powers, he still scurried away from loud noises or was just generally skittish, like a puppy that had been struck one too many times.

Even worse was knowing that the guy was crushing hardcore on Daimonas, who was thankfully completely clueless about it and just thought Dominik was a sweet little friend. I, on the other hand, knew all about his crush. I wasn't worried about Dominik getting too close to Daimonas, because Daimonas was innocent and with innocence came loyalty and faith. Not to mention, I think I had clearly stated that Daimonas was mine.

But that still didn't help the weird feeling of guilt brewing in my chest. Dominik was suffering and Daimonas and I were sitting here cuddling and poking fun. Hell, even Newell and Xed were hashing it out in bed in their room.

About fuckin' time.

The sexual tension between those two was almost as bad as Batman and Robin-- because let's face it, there's sexual tension between any superhero and his sidekick.

Except Newell was a villian.

Even I knew that.

"Well," I said at last, reaching out to pick up the remote and making Daimonas release a sound of protest, to which I responded with a grin, "It's time for bed. We gotta get up early and try to avoid getting killed tomorrow." Daimonas sighed, but reluctantly got up to get into his pajamas as I shut off the television and Dominik slid off the bed. He shifted uncomfortably, rubbing at his arm.

"Uh, is there a guest room I may use?" He asked. I started to point him in the direction of the piano room, which didn't have a bed, but a sofa was just as good. However, Daimonas gave him a confused stare.

"Why do you wanna use that?" He asked. Dominik glanced at me as I frowned, then looked at Daimonas uncomfortably.

"To sleep in?" Dominik asked, looking just as confused as Daimonas.

Jesus Christ, I thought miserably. It's a good thing they would never be compatible. With two people who were about as innocent as infants, trying to have a relationship was like trying to put a square box into a triangle shaped hole. I also had a really weird, and oddly sexy image of them trying to have sex. The image involved nudity and both of them just sticking their fingers wherever in hopes of it working out the right way. It took everything I had not to burst out laughing at the image and not to get hard. While I wasn't in love with Dominik like I was with Daimonas, there was still the obvious fact that Dominik was attractive.