Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Newell)

"Well, that didn't go as planned." I muttered as Xed and I walked down the street to the bus stop. Xed wore a grim expression, no longer as cheery as he was earlier. Having seen Daimonas break down took a toll on both of us, and I'm sure Daimonas hadn't meant it, but it was making things difficult. I was hoping to just grab him and leave, and I was tempted to go through with the plan until he started crying and I felt that foreign ache of guilt in my chest.

"I should've just dragged him out right then and there," I said as we stood by the bus stop where a homeless man was curled up under the bench and a woman was cradling her baby and her boyfriend was texting on his phone, "Goodbyes are painful." Xed gave me a sympathetic stare and I just sighed, folding my arms over my chest, glancing up and down the street.

"Well, whatever, it's done and over with. Right now, we'll go see Alora one last time and remind me to call Vladimir to inform him of our plans on our way back to the hospital." I informed, making Xed nod. The woman gave me an odd stare, but I ignored it as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"This thing has turned into quite a headache. I swear, when I get my hands on Hunter again..." My voice trailed as I could easily imagine ripping his throat open with my bare hands. I had faintly heard Hunter giving his arrogant speech to Starling and Xed through the haze of the poison. Who did he think he was trying to compare us? We were nothing alike.

Sure, we shared some common enemies and interests, but that did not make us alike. Hunter was a much more rugged, wild person and he didn't care who he hurt in the process of his goals. He even shot his own ally. Granted, I would have done that at some point in my life as well, but something had happened after a while. I was growing tired of trying to put up my defenses. By putting up walls around myself, I was creating more conflict and that's the last thing I needed right now.

The bus approached the stop a few minutes after us standing there and we got on board, Xed paying the fee to the Haight. We sat near the front for a quick get off. I was quiet as the bus took off. I glanced at Xed and he was just staring straight ahead, hands on his knees, ankles crossed. He sat with good posture, but he seemed almost robotic. It was strange to think that someone like this could actually be.... tender and gentle.

I'd seen Xed take on several vampires at once. I've seen him rip out hearts and strangle people with their own intestines. I'd even seen him eat once and that was definitely something to churn the stomach.

And yet, earlier... Thinking about it made me feel like I had butterflies in my stomach and I wanted to punch myself there. I could still feel the way his lips had felt brushing against my fingertips, the way his teeth very softly grazed my skin. The way his lips had felt against mine was an even more exotic and thrilling sensation. His lips were soft and strong, entrapping me. The way his tongue worked was swift and skillful. It made me wonder if he'd kissed anyone else and that sent an odd sliver of jealousy burning through my veins that I fought to contain. I didn't want to think about Xed kissing anyone else.

I only wanted him to kiss me. It was an odd feeling; this streak of possessiveness that didn't even want people to look at Xed the way I looked at him... Did I look at him in that way? I wasn't sure and I couldn't ask Xed. I'd already humiliated myself enough for a while.

I looked at Xed again, only to see he was already looking at me. I quickly looked away, but not before I saw him smile.

This was going to take some getting used to.

We arrived in the Haight minutes later and climbed off the bus. The police tape had been removed from the cauldron shop, but everything had been taken down with it and the shop was now for lease. I was having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that Hunter had killed the witches just to lure me out on my own. He normally didn't kill humans, and witches were humans. He'd grown up in the heart of Louisiana, just outside New Orleans, the city known for its magic and witchcraft and voodoo hoodoo.