Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight (Newell)

It was difficult to put into words how things were now.

Once upon a time, I would begin a story with complaints and how loathesome everything was, but for once, I had no real complaints, no real hatred, no real pain. I was calm and relaxed. I sat at the piano Xed and I had bought the other day, fingers flying over the keys.

I was so relieved to play the piano again. It had been far too long and while I was a bit rusty here and there, my skills still managed to stay intact. I sat at the bench, relieved that it was cushioned with red velvet. My fingers struck the keys quickly and sharply to match the tune that raced around in my head before I abruptly slowed down, taking the time to crescendo back to the rapid pace.

"He's still not talking to me!" I missed a note and struck a sour note, making me stop and a vein pulse in my jaw with irritation. I resisted the urge to yell at Daimonas, who stalked into the piano room and took a seat at the small love seat we'd added to the room yesterday.

Daimonas had met this... human. His name was Dominik and according to Daimonas, this Dominik was experiencing abuse from both at home and at school. Dominik had revealed the abuse by his parents to Daimonas not too long ago, but since then, had refused to say anything more about the situation with them and the bullies at school.

I personally didn't want Daimonas to involve himself in such a mess. This was the human's problem, not ours. If the human was too pathetic to fight back or actually in love with one of his attackers, that was the human's fault, not ours. It was just Daimonas' blasted sympathy that kept getting in the way.

While most parents were pleased to know they're child was sympathetic and wanted to help others for a living, it was stressing me out that he kept coming to me of all people for advice. I had a feeling that if Xed could talk on land, Daimonas would go to him, but because Xed was limited with words, Daimonas came to me instead. As if I knew how to help humans. I had created a terrorist organization for the sole purpose of turning humans into the cattle they rightfully were.

I loathed humans with an intensity that nearly surpassed the hatred I had for my own family. Humans disgusted me with their small mindedness. Granted, they're technology and ability to discover new things was outstanding. They had created cities from nothing and learned to prolong their pathetic lives, but they angered me to no end. For some reason, it was much easier for them to believe that a man in the clouds created their earth than the fact that there were vampires and werewolves and mermen in the world. Oh, and God forbid there's such a thing as a vampire with a disability.

Thinking about it made me grit my teeth. I wanted to bash the skull in of whoever invented any sort of religion or science. While I myself prided myself on scientific research, it gave people the impression that scientifically there could be no such thing as vampires and so on. Who the bloody hell made that up? And don't get me started on religion. If there was one human invented I loathed, it was the monothiestic religions that dictated their way of life.

Of course, that was neither here nor there. It didn't change the fact that Daimonas loved humans and wanted to help them, so I was stuck listening to him prattle about it.

"I told him about missing Julian," Daimonas complained, making me shoot him a warning glare that indicated I'd be furious if he went too far into detail with this human, but Daimonas shook his head, "No, I didn't tell him about living inside him. I told him Julian just took care of me for a while and I told him how much I missed him and that was really hard to say to someone that isn't you or Xed or Starling." He winced at the mention of Starling's name, making me frown.