Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Newell)

I woke several times during unconsciousness, but it was difficult to put the pieces together.

The first time I woke up, I was lying on something cold and hard, assuming it was a cement floor. I could smell wood and smoke, like it was maybe a warehouse. The next time I woke, I was lying on crusted carpet, cheek against it and the stench of smoke and leather. I saw lights flashing for a split second in my face before a car door slammed shut and I was out again.

The final time I woke, I woke up lying on what felt like a sofa with old, frayed material. I forced my eyes open, vision blurry and distorted. I blinked a few times to try and clear my vision, watching it focus in on an old, rotted ceiling. I tilted my head back against the sofa to try and look around the room.

It looked like an old apartment, very old and on the bad side of town. The sofas were old and falling apart. The doorway that led to the dining room was completely charred as if a bad fire had ravaged it, matching the scorch marks on the ceiling and floor. Half the tiles were coming up off the floor while the carpeted area was moldy and disgusting. The stench burned my nostrils and I groaned, tilting my head away, trying to sit up when I realized I was tied up. I looked down to see my hands tight out in front of me around the wrists while more rope went around my torso, pinning my arms to my sides. I dropped my head back against the sofa, then hissed as pain swept through my skull.

Not doing that again, I told myself with a grimace.

Even worse was the sudden hunger that settled in. My mouth felt as dry as cotton and my throat like I had swallowed sand. I coughed hoarsely, feeling my fangs throb in my gums. I closed my eyes again when blindingly bright sunlight shot across the living room and into my face. Pain tore across the surface of my skin and I hissed, rolling over to try and get away from it, but it hit my bare back and legs. I gasped, cringing as my skin split and blistered. I squirmed, trying to get away from the sunlight.

"Jake, enough." A voice snapped. I blinked a few times, tilting my head to see the tall man who had hit me over the head with a cauldron. He stood by the window, closing the blinds and pulling the curtains over them quickly. He gave me a blank stare, then looked up to the person who'd spoken. I recognized him as the second man whose name they had yet to mention.

"Jeez," Another voice chirped, belonging to the smaller man named Aaron, "You fried his skin. Why isn't it healing?" He poked at a blister on my shoulder and I hissed, snapping my fangs at him and he leapt back, only to be smacked upside the head by Jake.

"Because," The second man stressed sternly, "Vampires use blood to heal themselves. We've pretty much drained him except for what little he needs to still breath. So stay away from him or he'll jump you." Aaron scoffed, rubbing the back of his head where Jake had struck him. He approached me as I breathed hard for air, glaring up at him.

"He's too tiny and weak anyway, Urial. I don't think he could hurt a fly." He said.

"Bring your throat closer." I rasped, snapping my fangs at him and he yelped, reeling away. Urial sighed, rubbing his temple and Jake shook his head. Aaron shifted awkwardly, looking between the two older man.

"Sorry." He apologized. Jake ignored him and went to the window again, peering between the blinds and curtains. Urial took out a cell phone, touching the screen a few times to dial a number before he held it to his ear.

"Yo, Derrek, how's it comin' with the... What? Are you fucking kidding me?" Urial demanded, voice raising an octave and making my head want to explode. He was far too loud, and I could hear someone panicking on the other line, but their words were muffled. Aaron and Jake looked at Urial in alarm.