Kill or Be Killed

*AGE CHANGE FROM 12 to 14; Birthday no longer on Founder's Day*

Emma finished tying her shoes and exited her room, seeing Jeremy and Elena having a conversation. "Good morning." she said after she walked up to them.

"Morning." Jeremy grunted, giving Emma a quick glance before turning back to Elena. "By definition of being in this family," He held up his hand to show the Gilbert ring. "I'm involved."

Elena sighed. "This is dangerous, Jeremy." she said.

Jeremy rolled his eyes. "But it isn't dangerous for Emma?" he countered. "Come on, Elena."

"She's been in this since almost the beginning. You have to stay out of it, okay?" Elena said, giving Jeremy a stern look.

Jeremy shrugged, giving up. "Alright. Just saying." he said, walking past Elena and Emma to go downstairs.

Emma watched him depart and frowned. How is it that she can participate in all this dangerous stuff but not Jeremy? It doesn't make sense. "He has a point, you know." Emma told Elena, leaning against the frame of the door.

Elena nodded and entered her room, Emma right behind. "I know, but everything is just so crazy right now." she said, opening her closet door to take out a jacket. Once she closed it, Stefan appeared on the other side, making the sisters jump in surprise.

Emma rested a hand over her heart. "God, Stefan. You gave me a heart attack." she said, breathing in and out to calm her rapidly beating heart.

Stefan smiled apologetically. "Sorry, Emma." He looked down at Elena and went to kiss her, but the doppelganger stopped him with her hand. Elena walked over to her room door and closed it.

"And that's my cue to leave." Emma said, grabbing onto the bathroom door handle. "I'll wait for you downstairs." She closed the door behind her and went into the living room to wait.

~~~~~~~~  

"So, suddenly, she's in the running for mother of the year, just when I'm trying to avoid her the most." Caroline ranted as she walked with the Gilbert sisters to paint somewhere. Though, the two weren't really paying attention to what she was saying. "I'm babbling. You guys don't want to here this." Caroline said when they made it to their post.

Emma set her paint down and looked at Caroline. "Sorry, Care. Continue. What happened next?" she said, starting to paint a piece of wood brown.

Caroline sighed. "Well, I was a bitch which is part for the course with us." As the girls painted, Caroline snuck a glance at Elena. "So, how are things with you and Stefan? Anything?" she asked.

Emma's eyes went to Elena's figure, seeing her tense a bit.

"No, not since the fight." the oldest Gilbert responded. "He's been pushing me away because he thinks that Katherine might get jealous enough to hurt me. I just don't know how to change his mind."

Emma kept painting as she watched Caroline move towards Elena and kneel next to her. The vampire glanced up and gave the young girl a look. Emma nodded in understanding and set her brush in the paint bucket.

"Uh, I'm gonna go get some more brushes." she said, walking backwards while pointing behind her.

Emma glanced back at the two as she walked towards a pickup truck with supplies. When she looked forward, she bumped into someone, making them drop the pieces of wood on the grass.

She bent down and helped the person pick them up. "Oh, my god. I am so sorry. I should have watched where I was going." she apologized.

The person laughed. "No, no. It's okay."