The Last Day

*AGE CHANGE FROM 12 to 14; Birthday no longer on Founder's Day*

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah said, standing at the center of the library while Stefan, Emma, and Elena sat watching him.

Damon had closed himself off from everyone, staying up in his room as the rest of them formulated some sort of plan. It made Emma squirm at the thought of the encounter last night. She was happy she didn't have to deal with him.

"Emma said that the sun and moon curse is fake?" Stefan repeated. "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it. . . he'll be a true hybrid." Elijah clarified.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon said, entering the room. Emma tensed unconsciously at the sight of him. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon-" Stefan started, but Elena cut him off.

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Elena denied.

Damon brushed her off. "I'll write her a great eulogy."

Emma let out a frustrated sigh. "It's not an option, Damon." she said, bringing herself to look at the vampire.

"All right, how do we break this curse?" Stefan brought up, sensing the tension between the two.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." Elijah explained.

"The moonstone." Stefan listed.

Elijah nodded. "A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do I fit into fit?" Elena asked.

"The final part of the ritual." Elijah stated, picking up a miniature chest in his hands. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger to the point of your death."

That sent a feeling of uneasiness through everyone. Stefan reached out and held Elena's hands for comfort.

Emma fiddled with her fingers. "And what's your plan to stop that from happening?"

Elijah opened the chest, pulling out a glass vile. "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So I'll be dead?" Elena asked.

"And then you won't." Elijah finished.

Damon was not satisfied. "That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

Emma shook her head. "It won't work. She's supernatural."

"I'll take those odds over the elixir." Damon said, gesturing to the bottle. "What if it doesn't work, Elena?"

"Then I guess I'll just be dead." she plainly said.

An awful pit in Emma's stomach formed, making her stand up. "Sorry, this is too much. I-I need some fresh air." she said, walking off.

Cutting through the kitchen, she went out the back door and into the backyard, walking out onto the finished landscape. Being outside really did help her, though she still felt a little overwhelmed. She had to admit, Damon was right. There was a possibility that it wouldn't work and Elena would stay dead. And as much as she wants to say 'let's come up with something else', it was their only solution. Time was almost up.