Know Thy Enemy

*AGE CHANGE FROM 12 to 14; Birthday no longer on Founder's Day*

Jenna continued to stare at the two girls with her mouth opened in shock. Emma looked from Jenna and Isobel to see the vampire focused on Elena, a fake soft smile on her face.

"Hello, girls. It's nice to see you again." Isobel said, causing Jenna to turn her attention to her.

"Again?" Jenna asked when the Gilbert sisters got closer to the door.

Elena opened her mouth as if to explain but she couldn't get one word out.

"So you're the woman who's dating my husband. I need to speak to Elena. May I come in?" Isobel asked.

"No!" Emma shouted, before Jenna even thought to say anything.

"Don't invite her in." Elena said, glaring at the vampire.

"I need to talk to you, Elena." Isobel said.

Elena glared at the woman. "No." she said, closing the door on Isobel's face. Both Gilbert girls looked to their aunt to see her in tears.

"You guys knew she was still alive?" The girls said nothing. Jenna nodded. "Rick? John? Did they know?" she asked, anger laced in her words.

"I can explain everything, Jenna." Elena began, but Jenna turned and ran up the stairs. "No, Jenna. Please wait." Elena called out, chasing after her.

Emma made the move to follow them, but stopped mid step. Even though they were both in the wrong for keeping Isobel a secret from Jenna, Emma felt that it wasn't her place to explain everything to Jenna. She jumped at the sound of Jenna's bedroom door slamming and then she heard Elena's pleas. All Emma could do was sit on the stairs with her head in her hands.

~~~~~~~~  

The following morning, Elena had called Alaric over to the house, to sort of corner Jenna to speak with her. Emma was against it, wanting to give Jenna some more time to process everything and not feel ganged up on, but Elena had done it anyways. 

Upon hearing the doorbell, Emma rushed over from the kitchen and opened it to let Alaric in.

"Hey, is she up yet?" he asked, stepping inside.

Emma sighed. "She hasn't come out of her room since last night."

"What'd you tell her?"

"I haven't tried talking to her, but she's been ignoring Elena." she explained, shutting the door behind her.

Alaric stuffed his hands in his coat pockets. "We're gonna have to fix this." Emma nodded in agreement.

Just as Elena had joined the two, Jenna made her way downstairs. They greeted her, but she went straight for the front door.

"I don't want you here, Rick. You need to go."

"Okay, listen. I can't begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now." Alaric said.

Jenna set down her bag and turned to face the trio. "Rage and betrayal would pretty much cover it." She went to the closet and pulled out her jacket.

"Where are you going?" Emma asked, her arms crossed in front of her.

"I'm going to stay on campus. I have this thesis to write, and I don't want to be in this house." she said, putting the jacket on and picking up her bags.

"Jenna, please just stop." Alaric pleaded. "Let us explain to you exactly what is going on."

"Elena," Jenna said, ignoring Alaric. "I need you to go to the Lockwood's' today and accept the historical society's check for your mom's foundation."