Daddy Issues

*AGE CHANGE FROM 12 to 14; Birthday no longer on Founder's Day*

Emma trudged her way downstairs, the events of last night haunting her mind. It was unfortunate that there was no cure for Rose to take to survive the werewolf bite. She was punished to a life of fear because of Katherine and her last moments were in pain. No one should have to go through that. And then of course Emma remembered the surprise visit from John. Just when things were getting somewhat better, he comes to make it worse. She went into the kitchen where she found John drinking coffee while watching the news on TV.

". . . We will be holding a memorial in town square today to honor all those we have lost. Join us in hopes that as a community, we can begin to heal." Mrs. Lockwood said on the television.

"Emma." John greeted after he turned of the TV as she opened the fridge to pull out orange juice.

She simply ignored him, opening the cabinets and grabbing a small cup.

"I see you still wear the vervain bracelet I gave you." John continued, pointing to her wrist.

Emma, in quick movement, unhooked the bracelet and tossed it in the garbage, to which she proceeded to pour the juice in the cup and return the carton of orange juice in the fridge. She brought the cup up to her lips and took a couple of gulps of the juice.

John cleared his throat, "Oh, well, do you want me to make you-" He stopped talking when he saw the blank expression Emma was giving him. "Never mind." he said, sipping his coffee again. Finally, he took the hint.

A minute went by before Elena walking into the kitchen.

"Morning." John said, only to be cut short.

"What are you doing here?" Elena asked, getting straight to the point.

John tried changing the subject. "Coffee?" he offered, holding out a mug.

"We're not doing that. We did that last night. No more avoiding. Why are you here?" Elena asked one more time.

"I'm here to protect you. That's all I can say." John admitted, which earned a laugh from Emma.

"Yeah, and how's that been going?" she countered, glaring up at her uncle.

"I'll tell you more when I'm convinced I can trust you." John stated, giving a side glance at Emma.

"Oh, god, I'm late." Emma heard. Jenna walked in the room with Alaric behind her. She set her purse on the dinning room table and made the move to go to the coffeemaker but stopped when she saw John.

"That's what you get for hitting the snooze 3 times." Alaric said, his smile vanishing once he realized what happened.

"What the hell?" was all Jenna could say.

John side stepped the Gilbert sisters and put his hands behind his back. "Hey, good morning to you, Jenna. Alaric."

Jenna turned her attention to Elena and Emma. "It's okay I'm confused, right? Because we were not expecting you, like ever."

"Well, I got in late last night. The girls let me in." John explained to Jenna, who almost wasn't convinced.

"You know," Alaric injected. "I'm probably just going to take off." He eyed John and gave Elena and Emma uncertain looks before he made his way out of the house.

Jenna watched him leave. "I'm still confused here." she pointed out, hands placed on her hips.

"I decided to come back and stay for a while." John said, glancing at Elena.