The Hybrid

*AGE CHANGE FROM 12 to 14; Birthday no longer on Founder's Day*

Emma walked silently behind Klaus and Stefan as they ventured through the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Stefan had Ray's body slumped over his shoulders, the werewolf still covered in dried blood. She couldn't look at Stefan without being reminded of the haunting news report she saw earlier that morning.

"Whether suicide or a tragic accident, WKPW News has lost one of its shining stars. Daily reporter and weekend anchor Andie Star was discovered dead this morning by local sheriff deputies..."

She knew, without a doubt, that it was Stefan that killed Andie the night before. She didn't think he would go this far. Yeah, he said he had to make sure Damon stayed away, but to kill Andie, who was innocent, was too far.

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus teased, looking over at Stefan with an amused face.

"I'm fine." Stefan breathed out.

Klaus tilted his head back. "And what about you, love? We've been walking for quite some time now."

Emma glared up at Klaus. "Peachy." Though, she had to admit she was getting tired and the sun beating down on her was not making it comfortable.

"You sure? If you need some water or a little sit-down-"

"Stop acting like you care, Klaus." Emma pointed out, stepping over a small fallen tree trunk. She huffed and looked up at towards the sky. "Are we almost done searching for werewolves? We've been looking for them all summer and only found one."

"Thanks to our pal Ray, we found ourselves a pack." Klaus said, just as the trio, plus Ray, came across a large group of people in a camp site.

Emma hesitantly followed Stefan and Klaus into the camp. The werewolves in the camp eyed the intruders suspiciously. Stefan advanced ahead of the other two and set Ray's body down on the leaf covered ground. A brunette with short hair shot forward.

"Ray! Oh, my god." She knelt next to Ray's body. "What is happening?" she asked, looking up at Stefan.

"The more important question is who I am." Klaus announced, gaining everyone's attention. "Please for give the intrusion. My name is Klaus."

A guy from the pack came up to the girl and helped her up.

"You're the hybrid." the girl said.

Klaus smirked. "You've heard of me. Fantastic." He walked forward, to a log, and sat down, gazing down at Ray. As he got closer, the other werewolves backed up. "It's fascinating, actually," Klaus began, as Emma and Stefan sat down with him. "A werewolf who isn't beholden to the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. A true hybrid."

All of a sudden, Ray sat up with a gasp, making Emma jump a little in surprise. He took in his surroundings and turned to see Klaus smiling down at him.

"Excellent timing, Ray." Klaus said. "Very dramatic."

"What's happening to me?" Ray asked, breathing unevenly. Emma guessed he was in transition.

Klaus looked over at the other vampire. "Stefan."

Stefan nodded and got up from the log. "Is anyone here human? Your friend here needs human blood to complete his transition to vampire."

Emma shifted uncomfortably as Ray's eyes landed on her. Ray inched towards her, only to be stopped by a firm hand.

Stefan knelt next to Ray. "Off limits."

"Doesn't take much, just a sample." Klaus pushed. He got up from the log as well to look at all the werewolves. "Anyone? A boyfriend, a girlfriend along for the ride?"