The Last Dance

*AGE CHANGE FROM 12 to 14; Birthday no longer on Founder's Day*

Emma and Bonnie sat on the couch in the library of the boarding house, watching Elena follow the directions of a lawyer. Emma was rubbing her now cast free arm, enjoying the absence of the cast. Emma had to go in to the doctors with Jenna that morning, and since they weren't really on speaking terms, it was a very awkward drive to and from the hospital.

"Please sign here and here." the lawyer said, showing Elena the pages and handing her the pen.

Elena took it out of his hands and chuckled. "Okay."

"So this place is all yours? They just gave it to you?" Bonnie asked, her fingers picking at one of the pillows.

"For now." Elena said, looking up from the paper work. "As sole owner, I'm the only one who can invite a certain type of person in here, if you know what I mean." she explained, her eyebrows raised up.

"Your own personal safe house." Bonnie concluded.

"Something like that." Emma confirmed, sipping her cup of water.

"Wouldn't want to clean it." Bonnie joked, causing Emma and Elena to laugh.

"And that's it." the lawyer said, gathering the papers and placing them in his brief case.

Emma smiled. "Time to tell the boys." she said, referring to Stefan and Damon who had to stay outside because of the change of ownership of the house. Emma and Elena walked the lawyer out, Elena opening the door.

"Thank you, Mr. Henry." she said as the man left. She turned and left Emma, Damon, and Stefan behind only to stop half way. "I'm so sorry. I completely forgot." she apologized, turning back around to face the vampires. "Stefan," Damon gave Stefan a tight smile. "Would you like to come inside my house?"

Stefan widely grinned. "I would love to. Thank you." he said, stepping through the doorway and standing next to the girls.

"What are we, twelve?" Damon asked, arms crossed.

"One of us is." Elena pointed out, causing Emma to hold back a laugh. "If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?"

"No." Damon bluntly said.

"Seriously, Damon?" Emma groaned, pinching her forehead. "She has the power to let you in. Don't be stupid."

"She's right. My way. You promised. I call the shots." Elena reminded. "No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?"

Damon sucked in a breath. "Yes, Elena. Sure."

"Then please, come in." Elena invited, moving aside to let Damon in.

Damon walked forward, past Stefan, muttering "shut up". Elena and Emma followed after the two vampires and Bonnie came up to them with their things. Stefan looked back and halted.

"Wait, where are you going?" he inquired, arms crossed.

"To school." Elena stated, putting on her jacket.

Damon set down the glass was about to pour bourbon in. "No, no, no. We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it."

Stefan nodded. "Yeah, guys. Emma saw last night that Klaus is here. We know that."

"Right. But where? No one knows." When Elena saw Damon and Stefan shrug, she sighed. "Look, I really appreciate what you guys are doing. And I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I'll be safe here, but I'm not going to be a prisoner." 

Stefan and Damon glanced at each other, lost for words. "Your way, Elena." Damon finally said.

As Bonnie began to speak, Damon made faces at Emma, secretly telling her to do something about Elena, but all Emma could do was shrug. There was no way Elena was going to suddenly change her mind just because she said so.