Kiss of life

Gray's POV

Entering the infirmary, I am met with the sight of Phoenix lying next to Natsu's cold and lifeless body. Just thinking of the ordeal we've just had springs tears to my eyes. Yes we've had our spats, but Natsu was the best friend that I had and the brother I always wanted. Even as kids, the brotherly love was just under the surface. And Phoenix... Man I don't know how she's held out for so long. Even Erza couldn't hold back her tears. With a thud, I drop to my knees next to Natsu's side, my hand clenching his tattered black vest. "Dammit Natsu. Why did you have to die, huh? You told me I wasn't going to go by iced shell, so you didn't have the right to die like this. You hear me you pyro freak?!" My voice cracks, tears blurring my vision. With a surge of emotion, my hands burn with magic power, covering Natsu's body, forming a layer of iced air. Phoenix notices the coldness of the air and groggily shifts her gaze over to me. "Gray, what are you doing?" Her eyes glossy and sad.

Third person POV

"It's the only way to save him Nix, I have to do it... For you." He sobbed his magic transferring over into Natsu's body. "No no no, stop this right now Gray, you are not giving up like this, your stronger than this. There has got to be another way!" Phoenix cried trying to pull Gray back but to no avail. As he transferred his magic, Natsu began to gain back his normal complexion, hair returning to its flushed pink colour. However, Gray had not thought about the consequences of this. Although he had done it twice before to save his friends, he wasn't injured himself then, therefore he was healthy and safe. Now though, as more of his magic transferred, his strength diminished and his body started to crumple to the ground.

Phoenix looked at the scene in front of her with horror and anxiety. Her boyfriend was sacrificing himself to save her brother and she could do nothing to stop him. "Gr-Gray please don't do this. This isn't safe, your injured for Christ's sake!" She weeped covering her face with her hands. A hand slowly reached up to wipe the tears from her face. "Fifi don't cry, you'll ruin that pretty face." Spoke a groggy Natsu. In that moment, Phoenix launched herself at her brother, thanking the heavens that he was alive and still with her. "Never leave me again. I don't think I could cope if you left me for good." Phoenix sobbed scrunching her fists into her brothers black vest.

A harsh cough cut through the sweet moment and Gray spit up blood. "Shit Gray! Wendy quick come up to the infirmary!" Screamed Phoenix alerting their healing guildmate. The small girl ran in and immediately knew what to do, placing her hands above Gray's figure and healing him of his injuries. "What's going on Nix? Why's Gray on the floor?" Questioned Natsu, still in a state of confusion. Until Gray was healed, Phoenix couldn't do anything but watch and hope that he would be alright. Eventually, Wendy pulled away from Gray "He'll be fine, just needs to get some rest and not put any pressure on his torso for a while." Phoenix nodded as Makarov walked in. "Erza and Phoenix can you help get the boys comfortable in here, as Natsu will need his rest as well."

Phoenix's POV

As I carried Natsu towards his bed, I could sense someone watching me. Turning my head, I saw Gray laying in bed, Erza talking to him, looking straight at me. My cheeks burned crimson, as the corner of my lips turned up into a smile. Once she had finished seeing to Gray, Erza left the room, Natsu had already fallen into a gentle slumber. "Nix come over here, I want to tell you something." Gray whispered, sure to not wake Natsu up.

For some reason, I felt shy... Embarrassed to be by myself with Gray. Since the kiss we hadn't spoken about us properly due to the fact that a lot of shit went down. "I'm not going to bite you Phoenix, come and sit on my bed." He spoke gesturing for me to sit next to him. As I did so, he snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me in closer. "I love you Phoenix Dragneel. You know that don't you?" He looked at me but I quickly averted my gaze, staring at the patterned floor below me. It shocked me to hear him say that, my heart thudded against my ribcage and I couldn't seem to think straight. "I'm sorry Nix I shouldn't have said anything. I've ruined everyth-" I swiftly cut him off by smashing my lips into his, both hands placed on the side of his face.