Tell the truth!

Pulling away from Gray, Phoenix had a look of determination on her face. "Tell me the truth Gray, what you said to Natsu about me not being his sister, is it true?" The question took the ice Mage by shock and he quickly turned his head to face the pink haired pyro. "Look Nix it's better that you hear it from Natsu." Gray replies his eyes never leaving the floor.

Natsu's POV

Pretending to be asleep, I heard everything the pair said, my stomach turning in anticipation for what I had to say. "Natsu I can see your eyes moving, your not asleep." Smirked Phoenix sitting next to her 'brother'. Cautiously opening my eyes, I came face to face with the one person that I wanted to protect but would soon hurt beyond repair. "I honestly don't know how to tell you Nix, this is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do." I spoke quietly, letting out a shaky breath as I prepared myself for her reaction.

After composing myself, I began to tell her exactly where she was from. "When I was little, my parents died but a week before the attack, you arrived. They didn't tell me themselves where you were from but they left a letter which I think you should see!" I stuttered reaching into my pocket to hand her the letter.

My dear children,

If you are reading this letter, then unfortunately me and your father have passed away. I'm writing this because there is something very important I need to tell you but cannot bring myself to say to your face.

Natsu please take care of Phoenix, she came from a very upsetting background and we probably won't be here for much longer. Your an amazing young man that I know will achieve great success in life. Phoenix I am sorry that we may not be able to know each other well but I love you like a daughter that I never had.

On April 27th 17 years ago, I found a young child in an alleyway being both verbally and physically abused. After gaining a blow to the face myself, I discovered the abusers where her parents and they wanted rid of her for ruining their lives. Disgusted, I pleaded for them to let me take her in and they agreed... But on one condition.

They wanted to find her on her 20th birthday and see what kind of a women she has become. However although it may sound sentimental, they also wanted to take something precious from her, something she couldn't live without. Still, I took her in and promised to look after her like she was my own daughter.

Phoenix, you are this child I have been speaking about and I am so sorry this is the way you had to find out. Please stay by Natsu at all times, he will protect you and keep you away from danger. Live your life like the beautiful carefree person I know you are and don't worry about anything to much. My dear Natsu, your father and I love you to the moon and back and will miss you dearly when we are gone.

For the last time, we love and miss you with all our hearts and wish that one day we could meet again.

Mother and Father Dragneel
Xxx

Phoenix's POV

After reading the letter, I realised that I had been crying and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. "S-so my parents hated me that much they tried to kill me, and your mum saved me." I stuttered handing the letter to Natsu who looked at me with what seemed like sorrow. "Nix are you going to be alright?" Asked Natsu pulling me into a hug. His hugs are the best, they make me feel like all my worries have disappeared. "Natsu how did your parents... Erm...die?" I quietly asked worried he would break down in front of me.

Natsu gives me a small, sad smile. "An evil demon attacked my village when I was only a baby. They attempted to run, but my mother got captured and was slaughtered. So my father put that letter in my blankets, took me to an isolated cave, before returning to take revenge. Since then, I have no idea what's happened with my father and my village. Igneel lived in the cave my father left me in, and he told me the village was wiped out. Since I was so young, I don't really know much but from what Igneel told me, the people there fought valiantly." Natsu explains, his eyes filling with tears, but I was unsure whether it was for his parents or Igneel.

"So you don't know if your father survived?" I ask. Natsu shakes his head. "No idea. I've always assumed that he died though because my village wasn't home to a single wizard." He spoke quietly as he clenched his fist around the letter. "Don't give up hope Natsu! He could still be alive somewhere, looking for-" I speak hugging him close to my chest before he pushes me off and interrupts me. " NO PHOENIX HE IS DEAD!! Along with everyone else I love... Except you!" He cries breaking down. Without hesitation, I cradle him in my arms telling him to forget what I said.

"Nix I'm so sorry for everything, Natsu showed me the letter a few weeks back and I knew how much it would hurt you." Spoke Gray snaking his hands around my small waist. He took me by surprise but I melted into his grasp, enjoying the comfort he brought me. "There's no need to be sorry Gray it's better I found out this way anyway." I turn around burying my face into his shoulder.

"Nix isn't it your birthday this weekend?" Gray quickly holds me out at arms length. A smile pulls at my lips as I nod my head. "Yep I'm surprised you remembered after everything that has happened!" I giggle awkwardly turning to Natsu who has just swivelled himself into a sitting position on the bed. "20 years old, wow Nix your getting old!" He laughed sarcastically. I shoved his shoulder laughing at his attempt to be funny. "How about we have a party to celebrate? You deserve it after everything that has happened." Natsu perked up grinning ear to ear.

Third person POV

The three friends stood smiling as they got down to planning the party for Phoenix's birthday.