The Truth About Calvin

Monday

Calvin and I didn't speak or see one another the entire weekend after our little...incident, and I was fine with that. At the time, we weren't close enough for me to want or even need to see him anyways. Plus, I was only using him to get better revenge. I promised myself that the day he held me back from that, I was going to deep-six his sorry little ass. 

Calvin and I ditched first period early. English was boring anyways. We snuck into Will's homeroom. It was empty and locked during fifth and fourth period-we'd made sure of it. That's when I learned Calvin knew how to pick a lock. Who would've guessed the goth could do something so cool?  

We slipped in. I switched on the lights, they flickered on, and the room was alive! Okay, so it wasn't alive. But we could see. We both headed over to Will's seat. I'd pranked Will before during homeroom. I knew which one was his seat. Calvin followed me over. 

Will was Will. Like everyone else, he had some freaky habits. One of them was sticking his hands in his desks. He'd sit like that. Proud posture. With hands in the desk. Yeah, real normal.

So, Calvin and I-more me, as it was my idea-decided to place a mouse trap in the darkest back corner. We put a pen with a shock clicker towards the front where the opening of the desk was.

The bell rang as Calvin and I were slipping back out. We ran around the corner, and waited until the hallways were clear. Each classroom had two door, one in the back and one in the front. We peered through the classroom's back door window; it was less likely for someone to notice us.

Will had his feet kicked up on the desk, and I saw one arm in a cast.

Oh, man, he's going to kill me for that. How did I even break it? It just...snapped! I didn't mean to! But it's not like he'd believe me...who would?

His homeroom teacher, Mr. Scott, scolded him, and Will reluctantly slipped his feet off of the desk. Will leaned forward. Calvin and I did the same, getting closer to the window. Calvin was ducking slightly and I was on my tippy-toes. My breath fogged the glass in front of me, and I whipped it away with my fingers, scowling at the slight disturbance. 

Then Will stuck his hands into the desk. He noticed the pen and took it out, his natural curiosity getting the best of him. He flipped it around between his fingers, showing off some petty pen tricks. It got one girl to look at him-something he could ahve achieved with out the pen tricks. He smiled at her, and clicked it.

That's when he cried out and chucked the pen at the ground. It hit the ground hard enough to break in half, the ink splattering. Calvin and I cackled.

Heads turned towards the back of the classroom. Calvin and I ducked, going completely silent. We quietly gave each a high five with a snicker before realizing we'd just praised the other. Now we looked at one another with utter disgust. I glowered, and Calvin looked down the hallway. 

"I'm going to class," I growled.

"I'm leaving first," he muttered. I was annoyed that I allowed myself to even look at Calvin like he was even human-ish which resulted in me missing the second part of the prank.

~

Chemistry came around eventually. On that last Friday while trapped on that rooftop, we'd decided our first prank would be today. Little did I know that wouldn't be happening, or that I'd be finding out why. 

As the dorks like to say 'Today's the day', I thought.

We'd agreed on a few other things, but at the moment, none of them were important. Most was stuff you'd expect: Nothing personal, no back stabbing, no revenge on each other (I-childishly but nevertheless-crossed my fingers behind my back on that one), etc.