I Won't Prank

I Won't Prank

Wednesday

It was a girl who opened the door. She wore a hot pink bandana over her bald head. She was still laughing over something, and smiled at Calvin and I.

"Yes?" she asked.

Willow had pale skin, but the most beautiful pair of sparkling green eyes the color of a willow tree.

She's Willow Red? I wondered.

I stood there, stunned, with my jaw unhinged. Jesse stepped forward. "Is Calvin here? We really need to know."

Willow looked behind her, signally that he was. I wasn't about to listen to a lie and was about to shove past Willow when Calvin came up behind her.

"What?" he snapped.

"Well excuse us for worrying!" I blurted out.

Calvin's eyes narrowed. "And I thought the deal was off?"

"It is," I muttered stubbornly and then Jesse nudged me with his elbow in the back. "Alright! So, I thought you were on Will's team...So what?"

"So what?!" repeated an enraged Calvin.

"Will's team?" Jesse looked totally confused, but there was a time when we were younger where the letter 'q' confused him. Don't ask why. It just did.

"Do I need to call a nurse?" whispered Willow to Calvin.

"If you were to call anyone, it'd have to be a nurse for Jesse and security for Rachel," Calvin grumbled.

I smothered a laugh, and Jesse's look of confusion turned to hurt.

"You're Rachel!" exclaimed Willow. "He's Jesse?"

I couldn't contain it, and burst out laughing. I pointed at Jesse as I face him. "You're Jesse?"

"Very funny. Joke's over," Jesse muttered and crossed his arms over his chest. He stared at Willow. "Can we come in?"

"Yeah, of course," she said and we walked in.

Calvin took a seat in one of the chairs, and Willow hoped onto the hospital bed. Jesse and I stood there side-by-side. I took a step to the left, away from him.

"I saw you at Venice High School," Willow stated.

"Yeah, that's kind of how it goes when you attend VHS," I mumbled.

"I went there for one last time since I used to go there. I think I remember you and Calvin, but I don't remember Jesse," she admitted.

"I moved away...then came back." Jesse chuckled awkwardly, and I gave him a funny look that made him stop.

My look faded when my mind clicked on the words 'one last time'. I had figured she was the friend that Calvin meant only had a few days left, but it hadn't fully registered. Willow really did only have a few days left.

Then why is she so damn happy?! I be swearing and throwing a tantrum every five minutes, I thought.

"Are you related to anyone who goes to VHS?" asked Jesse, and I immediately knew what he was hinting. By their expressions, I could tell Willow and Calvin knew too. Calvin gripped the seat's arms.

"William Red is my cousin!" she cheered. "I think he likes Will better though."

"You think?" I hadn't realized I said that out loud until it was too late to take it back.

"We're cousins, but I don't really hang out with him. He was always out playing sports, while I was reading a book or out shopping with friends. I wish we were closer though. I know he's difficult from what I've heard of from his mom, my aunt, but he's still family."