We Have An Accord

We Have an Accord

Wednesday

I got to school extra early for the first time EVER. I didn't get any sleep. At all. Looking like a wreck wasn't something new though. But not even the fact that I woke up early was as strange as having the red eyed little five and a half year old-she made it very, very clear.

My mom's a little wacky so when I came home with Caroline, she just told me how cute the little girl was, why she was with me of all people, and whether or not we were going to keep her. My answer: "See you later mom!" Her very motherly reply: "Alright, just tell me about the kid tomorrow! Wait! Is she yours?"

Most moms would have assumed it was mine right away. But not my mom. She's always been really weird. Especially for marrying my dad and still being married to him after what he'd done. But that's for another time.

I waited and waited for Calvin. I never let go of Caroline. She squeezed my hand so hard it eventually went numb. For a girl her age and how skinny she was, she still had a great, strong grip. We walked around school all day. We checked classrooms through the door's windows. During lunch, we hid in the janitor's closet.

Calvin never came. So I went back home. Mom would be at work while I was supposed to be school. I carried Caroline to my house. She was exhausted from crying, being stressed, and not getting enough sleep. She cried so hard she couldn't talk. I'd never felt the way I did when I looked at Caroline. A mix of pity, helplessness, concern, and anger.

I had so many questions. None of which I would ask a five and a half year old.

I skipped school completely. Usually I tried to keep my max at five periods (I had six). Homeroom didn't count. It was useless. Plenty of kids ditched it.

Caroline woke up when I set her on my bed. "Where's Calvin?"

"He's...busy," I murmured. Technically, he was. "Go to sleep."

Caroline sat up and wrapped her arms around my waist. "Thanks..." She looked up at me with eyes that said, "I don't know your name."

"Rachel," I murmured.

"Can I call you Ray?" Caroline sniffled.

I hated that nickname, but when she said it, it was so different. It was like a lullaby. Sweet, soft, short, and perfect.

"Yeah," I murmured gently. "As long as you go to sleep."

"Will you sleep next to me like Calvin does when there's fight?" Caroline asked quietly.

I nodded and laid down next to her. She looked so small and vulnerable on my twin size bed. Other than her facial bones, she was nothing like Calvin. She had blonde hair, not dyed jet-black, and I began to wonder if Calvin was a natural blonde. Her eyes were a light but bright blue, almost like neon, while his were black-brown like when you burn your toast. She was so small, while he was sooo freaking ridiculously tall. They were both too skinny, and for the first time in my life I knew what it felt like to care for someone.

~

The doorbell woke me up. I slowly got up, making sure I didn't wake up Caroline. I shut my bedroom door, stretched, and walked over to the door.

With a groan I wondered, Did Mom forget her keys again? Jeez, Mom! It's like the hundredth time! What the fudge?!

When I opened it, a bloody Calvin stood on my porch. His lip was split right in the middle. His mouth hung open like his jaw didn't have the strength to keep it shut. He held his right arm close to himself.

Why did I never see him like this at school? Is he that good at hiding it? He always has his hoodie up, and sleeves pulled over his hands. Or am I just the blind? I thought as I gawked at him.