William, Calvin, & The Importance of Being Earnest

William, Calvin, & The Importance Of Being Earnest

Tuesday

I skateboarded into school, finding a little on the odd side that I hadn't had my morning ruined by Jesse.

Something large caught my eye. I turned to see a large blank board being carried by Jesse and Will towards the auditorium. I couldn't see the front, which made me wonder if it was as blank as on the front as it was on the back.

I jerked my longboard to a stop when I realized what was going on.

The play! It's today! Oh, God, what was the story called? I thought then remembered telling Jamie the name of it. The Importance Of Being Earnest!

~

"Hey, Rach," grumbled Calvin.

I spun around, grabbing him by his plain, fitted black t-shirt and jerking his face closer to mine. Calvin faltered and looked surprised by my abruptness, which really pissed me off. He should have seen this.

"We were never close enough for nicknames-and never will be! Do not talk to me ever again!" I snarled in his face. "The plan? Is off!"

I shoved Calvin, and he stumbled back slightly as confusion-which I knew was fake though it seemed very real-crossed his face.

"We made a deal, and now it is off. I thought over it last night when you came back and dropped off Carrie from the hospital. Neither of you is allowed on my yard or anywhere near my house unless you want the cops involved!" I was furious and not thinking clearly. I would never really call the police.

"Wh-" Calvin began, looking befuddled.

"Shut up, you liar!" I shouted at him, and was positive I would never trust anyone ever again. I stormed away, leaving people to stare at Calvin as he watched me, bewildered.

~

I finished my roundabout of being an extra and slipped off stage into the backstage. Holy crap! Backstage? Crowded. The costumes? Itchy! Lines? I didn't have anything, which was a good thing.

Mr. Wilcons was in the back too. He was making sure everything that needed to be done was done. And! He gave everyone high fives. Mrs. Bullshit was rushing around making sure everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing. She was tough on the techies. Calvin was one of them-not that I cared. Will had a broken arm, remember? He didn't have a main part anymore. He was a techie's assistant. Not Calvin's, though. He was helping some nerdy looking kid.

I stepped out of the way as someone hurried past me.

"Is it-" began someone when she realized her microphone was still on. Calvin walked over ot her and helped turn it off while I tried not to laugh.

"Hey, Calvin!" called Will in a whisper. "We need you over here!"

Calvin's eyes narrowed and his eyebrows knitted together. I was as suspicious as he was-

No! I am not suspicious! Far from it! Calvin is on their side! This is just for show to try to get me to trust Calvin again! It will mot work. It will not work.

"Calvin, get over here." This time Will sounded more urgent, and Calvin reluctantly walked over.

Jesse came up to me and waved a glazed donut in my face silently. I snatched it from him, grumpy that he of all my classmates was the one to get me a snack, and furious at Calvin for being able to lie so well to me. If it was a different kind of snack, I would have ignored Jesse, but this was a glazed donut. My third favorite food, and Jesse knew it.

Suddenly something fell over with a loud thud. Then one person with a ringing microphone almost screamed from the abruptness of the high-pitched, sharp sound. A techie quickly turned it off. It was the nerdy kid Will was supposed to be helping, but instead Will was with Calvin.

I stopped eating my donut, and Jesse turned to me.

"Where's Calvin?" I asked Jesse, not caring that my mouth was full.

Jesse looked slightly grossed out. He always had a weak stomach. "Um, I don't know." He shrugged.

Jesse and I looked around. I spotted Will and Calvin first before Jesse. They were talking next to the curtain.

See? They're fine. Yeah! Calvin is fine! Too fine! The bastard.

But then Calvin disappeared.