That Was A Lie

That Was A Lie

Friday

It was just two or three minutes before the bell wold ring and school would start when I stalked up to where Henry was flirting with some cheerleader and looked up at him through narrowed eyes. "So? How's Will?"

Henry scowled. "It's none of your bee's wax."

"Aaaahh, I see! He's still a little fucking wimp-"

Henry grabbed my shoulders and shoved me into the lockers.

"Mind. Your. Own. Business!" Henry snapped.

I kicked Henry between the legs and he let go of me. I raced away and after a moment, he raced after me. Which was exactly what I wanted-for once. I would escape in the end. I always do, but this was a prank. I couldn't just slip into a crowd and let him lose me.

I veered around the group of girls instead of shoving through them. I ran my way through the crowded hallway and out of the building. I ran all the way to the gym and up the stairwell to the top. I raced across the flat roof of the gym, climbed the railing, and jumped into the nearest tree.

I heard a crack and my heart faltered along with my formerly swift movements. I grabbed hold of the branch above me as the one I stood on snapped in half.

Henry came racing across the roof towards me. I started moving towards the trunk of the tree, only able to use my hands and arms for now. Henry leaned over the railing and stretched out his arm to me. Gripping the branch tightly, something sharp dug into my hand, but still I kicked him in the face as it was my hand that was hurt not my legs. He tumbled back onto the roof on his back.

I grabbed another branch with a wince, swung over to the trunk, and pretty much gave it a big bear hug. While Henry was getting up and wiping the blood from above his eye, I climbed down. I yanked out the splinter with my teeth before my brain processed the full amount of the stinging sensation pain brought.

I looked up but Henry had disappeared. if he was trying to go down through the stairwell, it was useless. As I let Henry chase me, Calvin followed and locked Henry up there.

Calvin walked up with two large water guns as Henry came racing back to the rail.

"You bitch how the fuck di-Calvin!!" screamed Henry in anger. we rose the filled guns and fired. Henry was soaked in seconds and he backed away from the railing quickly.

Calvin and I raced away laughing and we even high-fived - willingly - as the bell rang.

~

"Hey, Rach! Wait!" called Jesse.

I scowled as I opened my locker to grab the book for my next class during our five minute break between classes.

Jesse walked up and his eyes landed on the shirt gun I managed to shove into my locker. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it out, but I didn't really care.

"Uh-" He began, unsure suddenly.

I slammed my locker shut in his face and he looked away. He stared down at me and I forced myself to glare up at him.

"What?" I snapped, tossing my backpack over my right shoulder and slipping my left arm through the other slot.

"What happened to you?" he asked.

"I grew up," I sneered. "You should try it sometime!"

"When you grow up, you mature. What about you?" Jesse said.

"You haven't changed at all," I growled.

Jesse's Adam's apple moved as he swallowed. "At least tell me you won't ignore me. We're only juniors. We still have our senior year. What if we never see each other after this?"