Exploded

Exploded

Monday

"Hi," said Jesse as I walked up to school. "You walk too?"

"Not anymore," I grumbled.

I'd suddenly found an excuse to make mom let me buy a skateboard-but it wouldn't be the same excuse I was going to tell of course. She didn't need to know Jesse was back. Her life didn't depend on it so it really didn't matter in my mind.

"Can't you at least tell me what happened to you?" he asked stubbornly. He has always had matched been the one person to out stubborn me.

"Go away before I flip you again," I snapped, for the first time giving the person a verbal warning. The other times you guessed, guessed too late, or you were to oblivious to guess it would happen to you.

Jesse took a step back. "Oh, come on."

"What?!" I snapped. "You were always great at making friends-so go make friends and leave me alone!"

"What about that boy...um, Calvin, right?" Jesse asked and I stomped up to him, grabbing his ear.

"Leave him alone too," I demanded.

"What's he to you?" he asked.

I opened my mouth but found myself unable to say anything. Calvin Eaton was an outsider. Was he really my friend? Could I really admit one of the kids I used to pick on was now my friend? One that just might turn out better than Jesse because I wouldn't crush on him like I had Jesse?

Suddenly Jesse was decked. I walked backwards, still unable to talk. Calvin towered over Jesse, who was smart enough to stay in the ground.

My jaw dropped and I thought in astonishment, Calvin. Just got physical?! Since when did he lay a finger in anyone?! Wh-wha..?

Jesse looked up at me. "Boyfriend?"

"No," I spat.

"Buzz off," ordered Calvin.

Jesse scrambled up and ran away like a dog fleeing with it tail tucked between its legs.

I gawked at Calvin.

"What?" he asked innocently as the students passing stared at Calvin.

"You..." I began in awe but shook my head as I trailed off. "Just never mind!"

~

"You're Calvin...Eaton, right?" a girl asked Calvin.

They were in history and the bell hadn't rung yet so everyone was talking amounts themselves - well, except the outsiders cowering in the back.

The other outsiders stared at Calvin. They waited patiently, watching. Calvin wanted to sink into the ground and disappear. They were wondering if he was just going to look down and not answer shyly, give her an acknowledging nod or strike up an actual conversation with this girl. She wasn't the most popular girl in school, but she certainly had a lot of friends.

Calvin gulped and squeaked, "Y-yeah?"

"So, you we're the one that saved that bully...um, Rachel! I heard you totally flipped that guy like twice before he gave up and ran away!" she exclaimed happily.

If the outsiders around him had been cartoons their jaws would be on the ground.

"No, I-uh-I-I-"

"That's awesome!" she yelled, ignoring him.

Suddenly Calvin was on his feet before he realized it. He towered over the girl like he did most people. She stepped back, intimidated. Calvin immediately sat back down.