Chapter Five: Just have to be convincing, that's all.

The last thing I expected when I walked in from school was to find my mother home and looking after Jane. My mother looked up and I wondered what she’ll say to me. When I saw a concerned look on her face, I was surprised and wondered why she did.

“What happened to your eye?” she asked me. Of course my eye but wait why would she be worried, she wouldn’t normally be worried about me anyway.

“There is a new girl at school and I was being nice but her twin brother is over protective but he didn’t mean to hit me in the eye, I shouldn't of gone back for seconds,” I smiled.

“James.....I am sorry. You were right, sometimes or most of the time I over look you but maybe it’s because you look like him the most. Maybe it is because in away your smarter than me and right about most things. I should accept that and know you did all you could for your brother, like you always do.”

I smiled at her. I couldn’t stay angry at my mother for long even if I tried. I went over to her and I gave her a huge hug and she kissed me on the forehead. Jane was playing with her fake mobile phone and I couldn’t help but wonder how she would turn out. I hoped she didn’t turn out like her older sister, having one of her is enough, imagine two. Twice as horrible, twice as deadly, don’t miss out on watching the two sisters bully their brothers....I just hoped she didn’t.

“So who is this girl?” asked my mother grinning.

“No one,” I said simply.

“Oh really, so you did nothing to make this guy punch you in the eye?” she said laughing.

“He elbowed me in the eye actually and I was just talking to her. As I said he is one over protective brother and I wouldn’t like to be in Crystal’s shoes right now. I'm not giving up though,” I said.

“Oh, so you are going to ask her out. That is brilliant, you need someone James.”

“I’m not going to ask her out, I just want to have a proper conversation with her without the twin brother putting his big noise in it, that’s all,” I smiled.

“James stop denying it you like her. You’re finally beginning to understand what love is.”

“No I'm not. Love is a waste of time and is so pointless. All it does in the end is...it breaks your heart, like dad did to you. He broke your heart and this family and I'm not going to go through all that when love isn’t even real,” I said annoyed.

“Alright James, if that makes you feel good inside then fine,” said my mother.

“Why aren’t you at work?” I asked her it suddenly darning on me.

“I took the day of actually. I thought I would sit down and have dinner with you early for a change and spend an evening together to be a proper family,” she smiled. I wanted so badly to say that we haven’t been a family in months but I didn’t want to ruin it considering this was unlikely to happen often. I knew I should take this while I could.

“Will you need my help?” I asked her.

“Oh no I got most of dinner ready and it be served soon. James would you look after Jane?” she asked. I nodded to her. My mother smiled at me before she went into the kitchen.

I took my rucksack of my back and put it on the armchair. I sat down on the sofa next to Jane to find CBBC on and I smiled. I put my head back on the sofa thinking about Crystal. I just wanted to be friends with Crystal. Nothing more and nothing less and it was going to stay that way.

My phone rang in my pocket which made me jump. I pulled it out and pressed the screen to answer the call from Josh.

“Hello.”