Chapter 8

I nap for three hours and get up for dinner. Gray is still sleeping restlessly. I gently tap his shoulder until he's awake.

"The fuck?" He grunts.

"You've been out for four hours. You've been tossing and turning, so I'm guessing you didn't sleep well."

"I didn't."

"Let's go eat dinner. We'll smoke a joint when we get back and hopefully you just sleep without dreams of any sort."

"S'go then." He mutters, sleep still heavy in his voice. Gray is cranky throughout dinner. Lyon smiles politely at me and says sorry almost a dozen times.

"Seriously, dude. I'm over it. Stop saying sorry."

"Yeah, stop saying sorry." Gray growls a little. "If I hear it once more I might scream. Can we move on?"

"What's gotten into you?" Lyon asks.

"He had a shitty sleep last night." I answer for him.

"Is that because —" Lyon begins.

"Yes!" Gray interrupts. "Can we drop it?"

"If you wish. I'm here if you need to talk, brother. I know what you're going through." Lyon responds into Gray's ear. It's barely audible, but with dragon slayers around there's hardly a point in whispering.

Sting is pleasant, professional, and even charming. I had no idea he had such a great sense of humour. He has everyone but Gray in stitches. Once Gray finishes his food, he waves the server over. "Yes, sir?"

"Can I get the cheque, please? For me and her." He gestures to me lazily.

"No, no, no. Don't worry about it. I'll cover your bill. You go get some sleep." Sting says.

"I can — "

"I insist."

"Fine. Thanks, Sting. Good night, everyone." He gets up slowly and meanders towards our cabin.

"Poor guy is beat." Rogue says with concern.

"Yeah, I hope he's okay tomorrow." Sting agrees.

I finish my last bites and stand. "Thanks for dinner, Sting. I'll return the favour soon. I'm gonna go make sure Gray's alright. I'll see you all tomorrow." Everyone says their goodnights and I head to my room. Gray is laying on the bed staring at the ceiling when I walk in.

"Everything okay?" I ask carefully.

"I'll be fine." He murmurs sleepily.

"Wanna roast one?"

"That would be amazing." After we smoke a joint, Gray lays back down, looking content.

"Feel better?"

"Yeaaah." He smiles ear to ear.

"Good." I lay beside him and pull his face to mine. I place a gentle kiss to his lips and he hums happily.

"You've really adopted the Fairy Tail way of life since you've joined."

"Meaning...?"

"You're always there when someone needs you."

"I've always been like that. My friends come first."

"Come to think of it, the stories of your past prove that. I guess you've always been Fairy Tail material."

"You don't have to tell me now, but I do eventually want to know what's bothering you."

Gray sighs and pulls away slightly. "I know."