Chapter 11

I slowly open my eyes to the sound of a spatula scraping a frying pan. "Gray?" He looks up and sees me sitting up in my bed through my bedroom door.

"Breakfast is almost ready! Coffee's on the table!" He smiles and resumes cooking.

Once everything's on the table and I've woken up a bit, I start talking a little more. "You had fun yesterday?"

"Yeah, why do you ask?"

"You were a little quiet. Why?"

"You don't beat around the bush, do you?"

"Talk to me."

"Or else what?"

"You wanna wear this coffee, Fullbuster?"

"Okay, okay. Yesterday was the anniversary of Ur's death. I usually spend that day alone. I contemplated leaving a day early and coming home."

"Why didn't you? We would have understood."

"I was about to. Then you asked me to teach you ice make magic. I figured it was a good way to honour her memory."

"Thanks for letting me be the one you teach." I smile warmly and he turns his face away.

"D-don't mention it..."

"Any similar experiences between her teaching you and you teaching me?"

"The ice shield exploding in your face is reminiscent of how I learned that spell. I was constantly cold, though. But you're an ice dragon slayer so I guess you don't have that problem."

"I still get cold easier than you."

"I should make you train in the snow." He laughs when my eyes widen at the thought of stripping down in the snow.

"Good luck finding snow with the spring being as warm as it is."

"I have my ways." His tone is devious.

I shudder and shake my head to clear my thoughts. "I have a present for you." I stand up and walk to my dresser. "I was going to give it to you on the actual anniversary of Ur's death but seeing as you didn't actually tell me..." I open the top drawer where I stash my secrets and underwear, I pull out a box wrapped in light blue paper.

"Sorry, I didn't wanna bring it up and ruin the day."

"Don't worry about shit like that. If you have to get something off your chest, tell me. That's what I'm here for." I hand him the gift and he eyes it suspiciously. "Just open it, jack ass."

Gray gives me a dirty look before ripping off the wrapping paper and taking the lid off the box. "(Y/n)... Where'd you get these..." He stares at the photo frame in his hand, divided into sections for four large photos.

"Lyon gave them to me before we left Floryan so I could get copies made for you."

"That's my favourite photo of Ur! She was about to make an ice slide for Lyon and I." Tears spring to his eyes as he laughs. "I've never even seen this picture of me and Ur. I'm so little there." He wipes his tears away before they fall. "Oh my God, of course there's a photo of Ur separating Lyon and I. I remember that. We were fighting over who had stronger magic. I had a black eye for a week after that." He looks at the last one, taken last year. "That's a good photo of Lyon and I. We've grown so much. We look really happy..." He stares at the pictures for a few minutes and I watch all the emotions on his face as he goes down memory lane. "Thank you! This is... This is... One of the nicest gifts I've ever received." Gray sets it down carefully and throws his arms around me, lifting me off the ground and twirling me around.