Chapter Twelve: Excalibur in Action

A week passed since my injury and I had all but healed. Uther Pendragon did indeed declare war on the Kingdom of the North and his troops are being readied; why is everyone so war hungry? That’s what I asked Arthur, his reply was “No one attacks a member of the Royal House of a castle and gets away with it, least of all those whom were already the enemies”

“Oh? What member of the Royal House am I?” I asked, Arthur was getting suited up to train with his younger knights, readying them for imminent battle. We were both in his chambers and I at the wooden table, resting my head on my arm; watching my angel. Arthur smiled after pulling the chain-mail over his head; he walked over to me and whispered in my ear.

“Duchess” His lips met my cheek and hesitantly left, he then walked over to his wardrobe and brought out newly-polished armor. My cheeks flushed a light pink and a smile covered my face; I helped him ‘armor up’ as he called it and afterwards he turned to me and cupped my cheeks in his hands. He smiled and kissed my lips, hesitantly letting go of them and offering me his arm; I smiled and gladly look it, walking with him down to the training grounds. The training grounds was basically an open, green field with targets, sword racks, tents to change in, a rack for shields, a place to tie horses (if you're training to be in the cavalry), and a small table where water was served to the rising/training knights. As soon as Arthur walked out with me, Gawain and Percival yelled my name, running to Arthur and I and hugging me tightly.

They smelt of sweat and the chainmail rubbed the wrong way against my skin, but, I was happy. They returned me to Arthur, who brought me to the water table, where Merlin was sitting, and sat me down; after a long kiss he hesitantly let go of me, sighed happily, and strided proudly over to his other knights. Merlin smiled at me "Arthur told me to give you something" said he, I turned to him and shook my head playfully. From beside him Merlin produced the sword that I used to kill the boar and kill the knight from the north! "The sword's name is Excalibur, when he was younger, Arthur, pulled this sword free of a block of marble; no one else could do it!

Even adults and men of much muscularity were not able to, but Arthur, being the King's son, pulled it free with ease. I told Arthur how fare it treated you...how it glowed in your palms and rained down sparks when it clashed with another sword. He decided to gift it to you, for, it will protect you when you need it" Finished Merlin as he placed the sword in my hands; in this moment, Excalibur glowed! My eyes widened and I felt the entire training grounds hush, I looked up from Excalibur to see Arthur with a smile on his face; I now heard Gawain's voice.

"Let her try it out! Let her fight someone, Arthur, come on, let's just see how she fares!" Arthur's eyes closed and I stood, walking over to him; his eyes opened when I was before him.

"Let me try, beloved, please? It's not a life or death situation, but, one day it might be; and what if you're not there? How will I--" Arthur placed his index finger to my lips.

"You may try, and, Angel" Arthur said, leaning down to me; our noses almost touching "I will always be there" now, Arthur's lips connected to mine; his lips were as soft as a feather. He wrapped his arms around my waist and held me to him. The surrounding, young knights 'oohed' and 'awed'. Arthur let go of my lips and scowled at the young knights whilst the older knights snickered at the youngsters. I hugged him and he kissed the top of my head, sighing afterwards.

As I glanced around at the knights I saw Carter, he was a snowy white and around his eyes were black rings; his eyes themselves were bloodshot and he was even more lanky than before. My heart fell to my feet and I was overcome with pity; Arthur broke our hug and stared at me, but I was too busy being awash with sadness to notice. Carter was staring back at me, his mouth drooping into a weary frown and he looked like he was about to break into a fit of tears; Arthur turned and followed my eyes to him, Arthur's brows furrowed and he slowly walked over to Carter. They had a small, inauditable conversation, Arthur hit Carter's back playfully, but the force of it almost sent Carter to the ground. Arthur smiled "Alright, sweetheart, you will face Sir Carter" Said Arthur, motioning to Carter as Carter picked up a sword and walked to a large, open place in the field.

I walked to the open plot also, standing to the opposite of Carter, Excalibur in hand. I felt all eyes resting upon me, making my heart thump quick and my palms become sweaty. Carter looked completely calm and blasé to this; it felt strange facing off with Carter, a man who I'd practically grown up with, a man who was there for me, a man who I had feelings for. Yes, tis true, even though I loved Arthur, I did have feelings for Carter, but he would never feel the same way about me; he probably has bigger, better deals of girls coming along all of the time! I sighed as Carter raised his sword and came at me, I felt...well, I felt the sword pull me out of the way!

It felt as if Excalibur had a mind of its own! After it twirled me out of the way of Carter's oncoming attack, it whipped me back around and threw itself at Carter's face. But, Carter was quick, he lifted his sword also and our swords clashed together, spitting to the ground yellow sparks. Carter pushed me away from him and swiped for my stomach, I moved back just in time and Excalibur aimed for his legs. Carter gave a groan and stumbled backwards, his shin had begun bleeding. 

I attempted to apologize but Arthur called out with a chuckle "my love, do not apologize, imagine if this was a real life situation; you are not going to apologize to your enemy, for, they will not apologize to you when you are lying on your back with their sword to your throat." Arthur's arms were crossed and he stood next to Merlin, Gawain, and Percival; watching us fight. I hurt as I saw blood dripping from Carter's thigh and down his leg; I knew that pain, I couldn't bare it without passing out, so my respect grew for Carter as he stood to his full height, his muscles pulsed, and I saw fires in his eyes. But those fiery eyes weren't staring at me, oh no, they were locked on Arthur; Carter's hand tightened around the hilt of his sword, to such a point, that his knuckles began to bleed. My breath was caught in my throat as I watched Carter's anger rise, I rose my sword and attempted to gain his attention, but that was in vain; Carter's eyes never left Arthur.

Arthur saw this anger also, his brows furrowed and a suspicious look spread across his face. I dropped Excalibur and walked to Carter, gently calling his name. "Carter...Carter....Carter...listen to me, Carter" I said, softly "Carter...Carter, look at me" I continued; Carter's eyes now shown the pits of hell, his eyes then flicked over to me. "That's it" I whispered "put down the sword...and give me a hug, Carter" Carter was motionless for a few moments, he sighed, dropped his sword and coolly walked over to me; looking down at me and, finally, enveloping me in a hug. I sighed and made sure no one could see me, I then kissed his earlobe and patted his back, gently.

"What was his problem?" Arthur growled as I sat in his bed and Arthur readied himself for bed; pulling his shirt over his head and sighing. He turned and leaned against his table, crossing his muscular arms over his pecks, revealing his six-pack. "Why did you tell him to hug you? Do you even know him?" Asked Arthur, I sighed and nodded.

"I've known Carter for a while...why he stared daggers at you, I cannot answer. But, it's always calmed him, when he's angry, for me to hug him; always. But, I've never seen him that mad; sure he's been very, very angry, but never like that. I was a little afraid." Said I, twiddling my thumbs as Arthur's eyes softened and he climbed into bed, wrapping his arms around me and laying my head on his chest.

Arthur sighed "How long have you known him?"

"Around...uh...a while. I can't really remember." Said I, cuddling up to Arthur and holding his hand. Arthur sighed and  kissed the top of my head.

"You're mine, Percyla, I want you to know that...I want you to know that you mean everything to me. Absolutely everything." I smiled and kissed his chest, then laid my head back down, and slowly fell asleep to the sweet 'lub dub' of his heart.