Chapter Twenty Five: Holly Hill

It was like an armory. No, guarded even heavier than an armory. Nevertheless, we got in once we mentioned my father's name and we were quickly escorted to the president's office. His name was David Griffin, he had short brown hair and light blue eyes that were hidden behind black, thick framed glasses. He was short, a lot shorter than Carter (who's height is six feet three inches) and chubbier than Carter and I combined!

"So, what brings you two to inquire about Mr. Quin?" Asked he, his voice was surprisingly deep.

"He's my father" Said I, Carter sat beside me and our hands interlocked as we sat before Mr. Griffin who sat at his desk. Which was just a fold out table with a little lap top upon it. "Was he seen fit to go out in society?" I asked, Mr. Griffin smiled and stood, walking to a television and clicking the 'on' button. He then picked up the phone and called to his assistant to turn on the slideshow for 'number 563972', that's when an old photo of my father appeared on the screen.

"You father, Miss. Quin, was very quiet and stubborn when he arrived here, but by no means would we call him 'crazy' for, he was able to function and support you. Anyways, after a series of therapy sessions we brought him to the fact that he was like he was because his wife left he and you, when you were quite young." Mr. Griffin paused and clicked the forward button, starting a video of my father in an orange jump suit, and his hands handcuffed to the table. He was sitting at a reflective table, his unwashed hair hiding his eyes. An orange jump suit, and they handcuffed him, like he was some kind of criminal! 

"Please" My father whispered "just let me go back to my daughter...my beautiful daughter...Percyla...please, please let me see my Percyla" My father begged, his head turning up and staring at a man wearing a black suit who was standing in the corner. My father's once vivacious, wonderful eyes were now grief filled and sorrowful. "Please let me make sure she's okay...I'm all she has...oh, my beautiful Percyla!" He cried, his head falling into his hands and he began to weep, and weep bitterly. My eyes glassed over, I had never seen my father cry, for anything!

Carter saw my distress and pulled me closer to him, he kissed my head and hugged me. "Stop this crying, Cornelius, stop it. Look here, here is a live feed of your daughter, see, she's talking to a little girl, she's fine, Cornelius. Now, the faster we reach the root of this problem, the faster you can leave and take your daughter back, but you must be cooperative, no more silence, do it for your daughter." That's when I realized that the man in the suit was David Griffin!

He sat down across from my father and my father nodded. "I'll do it for Percyla." He whispered, David smiled and began asking questions to my father, who answered them calmly. Mr. Griffin stopped the video and began speaking again.

"He was extremely cooperative after that, he always answered our questions and did what we wanted, to get to you faster. So, that year we concluded that he, indeed, was cured, with the help of medication of course, and after a while of trying to finalize the paperwork we let your father go back to you." Finished Mr. Griffin, I looked up to Carter who nodded, I thanked Mr. Griffin and held Carter's hand as we walked through the parking lot to his car and settled in.

"It looks like I owe your father an apology" Said he, pulling out of Holly Hill and back onto the interstate. I nodded and sighed.

"I can't believe he cried for me" I whispered "he's never cried" I continued, Carter smiled and held my hand.

When we returned to Auntie's house my father was sitting on the couch, watching Blake play with his Tonka trucks whilst Annabella helped Auntie make cookies in the kitchen. "Cywa!" Blake yelled, standing and running over to me, hugging my legs. I giggled and lifted Blake up, holding him on my hip. Carter walked over to my father, who now stood, and held out his hand.

No words were exchanged between the two as they shook hands, my father smiled and enveloped Carter into a hug, Carter gave a little sigh and hugged back. Auntie smiled and wiped her hands as Annabella licked the wooden spoon that they mixed the cookie batter with. My father sighed and let go of Carter, they stood back and my father grasped Carter's shoulders "thank you" my father whispered "thank you for taking care of Percyla, you're a good, strong man for her. Thank you" the men both turned to me, Blake was laying his head on my chest, much like Carter does, and he was sucking his thumb. His eyes were half closed, so Auntie came around and took him from me, saying it was time for his nap.

Now I walked over to my father and hugged him. "My beautiful daughter" he whispered stroking my hair and sighing in my ear, he kissed my cheek and let me go. He smiled and turned to Carter "you want to watch the game? Mary's got cold pizza in the refrigerator, you're not old enough to drink are you? No, you're eighteen?

Darn, well, she's got Coca-Cola too." Said my father, slapping Carter's muscular back, Carter smiled and the two sat down on the couch. Carter motioned for me to sit, I only smiled.

"I don't much care for football" I said, leaning down to Carter and kissing his cheek "I'll be in the garden if you need me" Carter grasped me and locked our lips. Our tongues intertwined and his hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me down beside him. I ran my fingers through his hair and he laid down on top of me, his hands moving down to my rump and giving a little squeeze, I giggled as his hand went into my rump's pocket (I was wearing jeans). I heard the sound of whistles and screaming fans and assumed my father had turned on the game, that's when my father tapped Carter and Carter stopped kissing me for a moment.

"You know her father's still in the room, correct?" Said he, Carter slowly let go of my lips, but didn't move his hands. I kissed Carter's cheek and he moved his right hand from my rump's pocket, but kept his left in place, he then sat me down and I watched football with them, apparently, they rooted for the Celtics. After an hour of being bored out of my mind, I layed my head down upon Carter's shoulder and fell asleep, only to be woken when Carter and my father stood and began cheering. I fell from his shoulder and landed on the couch, wiping drool off of the side of my mouth, they both turned and Carter apologized, pulling me onto his lap and resting my head against his chest.

I realized that I had slept through an entire game and the second game was in the third quarter. It was already dark outside and the smell of shepherd's pie floated about Auntie's house, I smiled and then I saw Auntie walk around the couch, holding two plates in her hands, she handed one to my father and one to Carter, she told me she would come back with mine. A few moments later I found that Auntie placed a large slice of shepherd's pie on a plate that was now resting in my lap, after finishing dinner, changing and waiting thirty minutes for Carter, I gave up on him and said I was going to bed. He nodded, and kissed my head, his eyes still glued to the television, I sighed and trudged up the stairs, falling into the bed and falling asleep to the sound of Carter and my father cheering downstairs.

School passed by slowly and the walk home was even slower. As I passed my old house I saw a weird, blue glow coming from within, my brows furrowed and I stopped walking. My father said he cut the power to our old house, yet, there was that blue glow that Carter and I saw when we walked down to the basement, the glow from the portal. My fingers turned ice cold and my heart plummeted to my stomach, what if, what if the portal didn't need power to work? What if it had a backup source?

What if it would swallow Carter and I up again? I shivered at that thought and determined I would continue walking and tell my father and Carter about it tonight, at dinner. But, my legs wouldn't move and my eyes wouldn't divert from one of the windows where the glow came from, wait a moment, if the portal was in the basement, why was I seeing the blue glow in the rest of the house? I then heard my father's voice and he walked over to me "hey, sugar plum! How was your day?"

asked he as he kissed the top of my head. "D-d-dad...l-look" I stuttered, raising a shaking finger and pointing to our house. I heard my father sigh and then he began to pull me away.

"Don't worry about it, pumpkin, don't worry, daddy will take care of it. Don't worry, Carter and I won't let the portal take you away again. It won't, pumpkin, I swear it won't." Said my father, my heart jumped to my throat, but it wasn't the blue glow that scared me that much anymore, it was the fact that my father talked about it like it was a person.