Chapter Twenty Four: Trust

At ten o'clock and with the help of Carter my homework was finally finished and Carter and I lay together in the bed, our eyes closed and our bodies resting together, in a cuddling jumble. "Do you really think that man is your father?" Carter asked quietly, my head rested on his shoulder and my body laid on his, I nodded.

"He knew things that no one else besides you or I know" I whispered, Carter sighed.

"I'm not sure that I trust him" Said he. That night it was strangely hot and I wore a pink tank top, Carter lifted up the back of the tank top and ghosted his fingers over my exposed backside. I smiled and snuggled closer to him, despite the heat. Slowly, but surely we both fell asleep, only to wake by the smell of Auntie's chocolate chip pancakes. It was Saturday, and Saturday meant the day off for both of us, Saturday meant relaxation and fun with Annabella and Blake, who were entrusted to us on the weekends so that Carter's older sister could spend some time with her husband.

We didn't mind, in fact, we liked having the kids. Annabella was the sweet, soft hearted little girl, who often turned into a prima donna when you spoke of a fashion show, and Blake was the rambunctious little boy who dug holes in the yard for no good reason, made mud pies, and brought spiders into the house. That very day, Blake came inside holding a giant spider, oh, have I forgot to mention that I have a phobia of them? Blake walked up behind me "Cywa" said he with a giggle, I turned and screamed, jumping on the table and yelling at him to take it out. Carter rushed into the kitchen, panic on his face. The panic disappeared into humor when he saw Blake was holding the spider tauntingly before me.

"Get it out!" I screamed, backing up a bit, now my father, Auntie, and Annabella came into the room. Annabella screamed once she saw the spider and hid behind Auntie, who only chuckled. Carter told Blake to take it out, which Blake did with his head upon his breast, Carter pulled me down and held me, whispering that the spider was gone. After that little misadventure we all relaxed in the living room, we watched 'Scooby Doo Where Are You?' for Annabella and Blake, for, that was their favorite show.

Carter smiled and looked down at me, he asked me what I wanted to do and I shrugged. "How about a walk?" Asked he, I smiled and nodded, Carter and I stood and announced we were going on a walk. My father asked if he could join and, reluctantly, Carter agreed.

"Do you like football?" My father asked Carter as we walked, Carter had his arm laying on my shoulders, I was buried in his old jacket and he wore a newer, black, leather one whilst my father wore an older, thicker, light brown buffalo hide jacket. We were just strolling through the neighborhood, for, it was a very, very big neighborhood. Carter shrugged.

"I don't watch it much anymore" Carter replied, and my father nodded. That's when something popped into my head.

"Dad, you never told us how you got out of Holly Hill" Said I, and Carter agreed.

"Oh, yes! I forgot about that, sugar plum!" Said he with a chuckle "well, there's nothing much to tell about, the doctors put me on some medication and concluded that I wasn't crazy anymore. That I could 'function in society' and after the long process of paperwork, I was let go." He explained, I nodded, but Carter didn't believe his story for one moment.

"Just like that? Like that they let you go?" Asked Carter in a sarcastic tone, then Carter scoffed and grabbed a tighter hold of me.

"It's what happened" said my father indifferently.

"It seems a little too perfect. A little too unbelievable. Like that they would let out a crazy person?" Carter growled, I gave a little gasp.

"Carter...!" I whispered with shock. "He wasn't actually crazy" said I, Carter pulled me away from my father and we all stopped walking.

"Actually crazy or not, he was still put into a mental institution. I bet you broke out, I bet that you ran away, you might be Percyla's father but your story has more holes in it than Swiss cheese, sir. And I will not, not! Allow you to ever lay a finger on my Percyla, ever again, not until I have concrete proof that that way is indeed how you got out of Holly Hill." Carter hissed, pushing me protectively behind him, now Carter took up my arm and began fast walking away with me, I stole a few glances back at him but received directions from Carter to keep looking forwards, not to look back and provoke him.

That night, my father came back whilst Carter and I sat together on the couch, watching the television program 'Top Gear UK'. Carter took up my hand and pulled me off of the couch, pulling me upstairs to our bedroom, where he turned on a small television to the same show and we lay together in his bed, silent. "I'm only doing this to protect you, sweetheart" said Carter after a few commercials "I don't trust him and I don't like him, he will not be alone with you and you will not be alone with him, it makes me feel a world better knowing that you're going to be in school on Monday and then go to work afterwards, with me. Where he can't hurt you." Finished Carter, I only snuggled up to him more and sighed.

"I know, baby, I know. I know you don't like him, but Carter, you have to give the man a chance! How could he have known those things? They're not on the interweb and I don't have a facebook or twitter, and the media couldn't of known any of it! Besides, I've only worried about my breast size to you and to him, when I was younger of course.

How could he have known if he wasn't my father?" I asked, picking my head up and staring curiously up to Carter, Carter sighed.

"I'm not doubting that he's your father, I'm doubting his story and his mental abilities. Who knows, maybe one day, when I'm not here he could have a fit and accidentally hurt you. Or, your father could've escaped and now he's a criminal, we could be accessories, Percyla, I don't want to chance that. That's why, tomorrow, we're going to Holly Hill to check up on it, to make sure he was telling the truth or not." Said Carter, I nodded and laid back down.

"Carter?" I whispered.

"Yes?"

"I love you" I said, there was a silence for a few moments, then I felt his lips on my head.

"I love you more"