Chapter Seventeen: Carter and Arthur

I woke on top of Carter's bare chest, I was lying on top of him! His muscular pectoral muscles served as a pillow. Without lifting my head, I groggily looked down at my hand, which was clenched tightly in Carters, I smiled, for, it was too early for my cheeks to redden. I glanced upwards to see Carter's eyes still closed, his head was propped up by two pillows, I then felt that Carter's right hand laid across my back and held the opposite side of my waist, as if to keep me in place. I closed my eyes again as the smile on my face widened, then, there came a soft knock at the door, waking Carter. As his eyes opened I looked up to him, still smiling, Carter smiled back and as he went to stretch he discovered our hands were interlocked.

He sighed happily and brought my hand to his lips, kissing it twice and letting it go, stretching his long, muscular arms. He groaned and the knock came again "Come in" Said he, as I sat on my backside and faced the door. None other than Merlin walked inside, carrying two trays of food, he set them down on the bed and explained to us how he convinced Arthur that I was staying with the Lady Morgana, and that the Lady Morgana agreed with this deceiving plan. I thanked Merlin, he nodded and smiled.

"Anything for a friend" Said he, he bowed, I thanked him again, and then he left, closing the door behind him. Carter and I ate, he told me funny stories and almost made me spit out my tea! After breakfast came the dilemma of finding a dress, since it was inappropriate to walk around the castle in a nightgown. Carter only smiled, dipped into his wardrobe, and leaned back out holding a beautiful, light blue dress with pink designs.

"I've been meaning to give it to you, but I never found time" Said he, handing it over to me.

"Oh, wow, Carter...it's beautiful, thank you so much" Said I, he smiled, kissed my forehead, and turned back to his wardrobe, pulling out his clothes for that day. As I pulled my arms through the sleeves I felt Carter's fingers grasp the dress and pull it around me, tying up the back. I turned to Carter afterwards and scraped together some bravery, I stood on my tippy toes and quickly kissed his nose. He stood before me for a few moments, befuddled, but then he gave a soft smile and rubbed my cheek, now there came another knock at the door and in rushed Merlin, his chest heaving and his eyes frantic.

"Arthur's coming! Hide, Percyla!" Merlin said quickly, at hearing this Carter opened his wardrobe door and I quickly went inside, hiding behind a small, red curtain inside (behind the curtain is a mirror). I quieted my breathing as I heard the resonating pounds of their footsteps upon the stone floor, I heard Merlin leave and Carter sit down upon the bed; my fear and paranoia rose, were they coming to get Carter? Were they coming to take him to King Uther for sentencing?

Had Augustus, the druid boy, spilt the beans? I shivered and found the answers so sad and realistic now that I heard Arthur's ominous step. Carter walked over to the dresser and whispered to me "Don't worry, darling, please don't worry, we'll be fine. Everything will turn out alright, and then we'll go home, I promise we'll go home." He said this very quickly and hurriedly walked back over to what I figured was the window since I heard him knock on the glass.

I clenched my eyes shut and placed my hand over my mouth as I heard the door to Carter's chamber open and the hard pound of the footsteps of knights stand all around the room, making sure Carter couldn't get away. My eyes glassed over, they were taking him! I knew it! But I stayed quiet, there was a slight doubt that Arthur was only inquiring about me. "Sir Carter" Arthur's respective voice said, calmly, Carter meet this calmness.

"Prince Arthur" Said he, Arthur walked farther into the room.

"Last night you left the feasting hall with the princess, where is she?" Asked Arthur, Carter said he didn't know. I heard Arthur's step walk farther into the room, I heard the bed shift and I heard Arthur chuckle. "Why is there long strands of women's hair in your bed, Sir Carter? Strands that match the princess's color and length" Arthur sniffed and sighed "ah, it even smells of her perfume in here!