Chapter Nineteen: Strange Behavior

I woke to the smell of pancakes and sizzling bacon. I opened my eyes and found that Carter was staring at me, he wore a smile on his face, it was a strange smile, one of content, of satisfaction, and a hint of slyness. "Good morning, princess" he said happily, I smiled and stretched groggily and whispered my good morning in doing so. "I made you breakfast" said he, then there was a pause "actually, Celest made it, but, I battled bustling servants to bring it up here" I giggled and sighed, glancing down to see pancakes, bacon, a boiled egg, and a few slices of cheddar cheese. I turned to him again and he moved closer to me, kissing my nose and then lying back.

I sat up and stretched, Carter followed suit and then placed the platter of food on my lap, smiling and kissing my cheek again. I smiled and blushed a little, he sighed, got up and began dressing himself as I shoveled the pancakes into my mouth, followed by bacon. After I finished breakfast, he helped me into my dress, afterwards he offered his arm to me,( which I took) and we began walking around the castle. I found his behavior a bit peculiar, before he said that he wouldn't offer me his arm, for, he was worried Arthur would be angry with me, but now, now he proudly strutted with me about the castle. What weird change happened overnight to Carter?

I remembered that I took the potion that Gaius gave to me, but Carter hadn't done anything...or had he? He seemed more confident, especially by the way he puffed out his chest and flexed his arm muscles. He wasn't worried that we would run into Arthur or King Uther, or, anyone for that matter, we could've met Jack the Ripper and Carter wouldn't of thought twice about it! "You're happy this morning" I said to him as we walked through the kitchen, Carter picked a strawberry from a plate and told me to open my mouth, I smiled and did so, then, bit down. The strawberry was sweet and exceptionally juicy!

Some of the juice squirted out onto my cheek, Carter smiled, leaned down, and kissed it off. I felt my face redden and Carter finished off the strawberry "I am very happy, my dear, very" said he, smiling to me. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why he was so happy, but whatever it was, I liked it. Out of the kitchen we went, and to the Royal Gardens, where the scent of blooming roses came to my nose and caressed it. Carter took me to the small, concrete bench that was in full view of the training grounds and sat down with me, his arm wrapped around my waist and his chin resting on my head, I rested my head upon his shoulder and smiled.

 I smiled, until I looked over to the training grounds to see Arthur with the fires of hell in his eyes, and he was staring directly at Carter. I looked worryingly to Carter and told him of this, he smiled and looked to me with a joyful gleam in his eyes "don't worry, he won't do anything, let him glare, he's not the one sitting with you right now, is he? Do not fret, Percyla, everything will be alright" Said Carter with a smile that melted my fears away. I smiled until I heard Arthur's step coming closer, Carter told me once more not to worry and then he caressed my cheek softly, with his hand. I heard Arthur clear his throat and Carter's eyes darkened as he glanced from me, up to Arthur.

"Princess, do you mind if I have a private chat with Sir Carter?" Asked Arthur from behind me, I stood and turned towards him, then I looked to Carter.

"If either one of you throw a punch, I'm going to smack both of you" Said I, looking from one to the other, they both remained mute, staring hatefully at each other. I sighed and Carter stood, then I walked away and hid behind a rose bush, watching this ensue.

"Who in the hell do you think you are?" Arthur growled, stepping closer to Carter, Carter stepped closer to Arthur, they were maybe five inches away from each other.

"Sir Carter, a knight of Camelot. That is who I am. Why do you ask, Arthur Pendragon?" Carter said, calmly. Arthur shook his head and smiled.

"I feel you're overstepping your bounds, Sir Carter, and I feel you need to remember your place" Arthur hissed, pushing Carter's chest, but Carter did not move. Carter's eyes narrowed.