Chapter Fourteen: Merlin

Merlin smiled at me and I asked him what pleasure had I to be in his presence, Merlin sighed and sat down beside me on Arthur's bed. "You know you mean absolutely everything to Arthur, correct?" Merlin asked.

I nodded.

"You also know that Arthur loves you beyond doubt and wants to make you the Queen, correct?"

Again, I nodded.

"You know he's going to have Carter's head...right?" Merlin asked quietly, I sprang up from the bed and demanded Merlin tell me everything. "Hush! Hush, Percyla! Yes, I'm going to tell you everything!"

I quickly sat back down and pried Merlin for information, grasping onto his arm tightly and squeezing. "Well, whilst Carter was in here someone was spying...a boy, named Augustus was crouching by the door...eavesdropping. I've stopped him for the time being but there is no doubt that your conversation with Carter will get out and Arthur is going to be very...very angry. Angry to the point of murder." Explained Merlin, I slowly stood again and began pacing before Merlin.

"B-but Carter didn't even say anything...he didn't...why would Arthur want his head if he hadn't done anything!" I cried, playing dumb, Merlin rolled his eyes.

"I know you were eavesdropping on Arthur and I a few days ago, drop the act. Arthur's got suspicions and when he finds that Carter visited you..." Merlin now made a line across his throat, I started to feel sick and I sat down upon the bed.

"What are we going to do, Merlin?" I asked, on the verge of tears, Merlin sighed.

"Like I said, I have him quiet for the time being, but I don't know how long that will last"

"Wait a minute" I whispered, stopping my pacing and turning to Merlin, who wore a guilty look on his face "how did you know he was eavesdropping?" I asked, Merlin's face reddened and he started stuttering "you eavesdropped too!" I cried, pointing at him, he sighed and nodded shamefully.

"I did, but only because I was worried for your safety, Arthur's told me much what a knight could do to a woman....what did you two mean when you said 'that machine'? and talked about being orphans?" My heart stopped in my chest, I forgot we talked about the machine!

"Merlin" I whispered after a long pause "I'm putting my trust and faith in you to believe me and not to tell a soul about this, alright? I'm going to seem...daft but you must believe me! Merlin, I'm not from here...this time period, I mean, my father is a scientist, a man who deals with chemicals and creates things. One day they took him away, accusing him of something he didn't do, then, they put me in a house with other people who didn't have a mum or dad--" Merlin cut me off.

"What happened to your mum?" He asked with furrowed brows.

"She left my father and I when I was young. Too young to remember. Anyways, in this house I met Carter, one day we escaped, for it was turning into hell there. Carter and I went to my old home and we went into my father's laboratory together, and we found a machine that looked like a portal. I hit a button and a picture of Camelot came up, Carter and I both fell in and...here we are."

I finished, looking to Merlin, a hopeful expression on my face. "Prove it to me that you're not from this time" said Merlin, crossing his arms. I closed my eyes and tried to think of my History class, I snapped and faced him again with a smile.

"You've got magic, Arthur will be the best king and create Knights of the Round Table, Arthur will die in battle against Mordred, who is Morgana's son, but Mordred will die also, along with Morgana. You will survive, and Camelot will continue to be passed along the Pendragon bloodline." Said I, Merlin's mouth hung open.

"How did you know all of that?" Asked he, quietly, I smiled.

"They've written so many books on you and Arthur...they've even gotten a television program and several movies. Do you believe me now?" I asked, Merlin nodded, stood, and kissed the top of my hand.

"Your secret is safe with me" Said he, and I assured him, that his was safe with me. Merlin offered me his arm and we walked down to the Royal Gardens together, him telling me magical things and showing me tricks whilst I told Merlin of the future. "You're telling me" Merlin said as we sat on a concrete bench in the middle of rose bushes "that women walk around half naked?" Asked he, I laughed.

"Only when they're getting into the water! Like a pond or a lake, they were something called swimsuits. It covers their...special parts but it reveals all of their legs, arms, and stomach (sometimes)." Merlin's mouth hung agape and I began to laugh once more. All of a sudden I spotted a dead rose and plucked it off the bush, showing my sadness for it to Merlin.

Merlin smiled and asked for the rose, I gave it to him and his eyes flashed golden! Then, in the palm of his hand, the rose was alive again! It bloomed a wonderful pink and the scent was invigorating. "Oh, Merlin, that's amazing!" I cried looking from the rose to him and then back to the rose.

Merlin smiled and placed the rose in my hair, behind my ear. I smiled and hugged Merlin, Merlin sighed and hugged back. "You're my best friend, Merlin" said I, I felt Merlin smile.

"You're my best friend too" Replied he, pulling away and smiling to me, all of a sudden I heard someone clear their throat from behind me, I slowly turned and found Arthur before me with his arms crossed.

"I told you that you were not to leave the castle" Said he, I stood and hugged him, he wrapped his arms around me and hugged me harder.

"Practice is over already?" I asked, and Arthur sighed ruefully.

"No, but the lads needed a break, they're falling over their own swords" Arthur growled, turning back and peeking around flowers to see the training grounds, he shook his head and turned back. "You gave me quite the scare, love, I went to my bedroom for you but you weren't there. I think I had a minature heart attack on the spot! Then, a child who said his name was Augustus, came to me and told me you were outside, in the garden, with Merlin." Arthur finished, my heart froze when I heard Arthur say the name 'Augustus', apparently, my distress showed.

"Are you alright, my love?" Asked Arthur, grasping my arm and lowering me to the bench, kneeling down before me. I had to come up with a lie, and I had to come up with one quick.

"Y-you really had a heart attack?" I asked, finding a reason to be so unsetteled, Arthur smiled and kissed my lips lightly.

"I don't think so. But, I did feel my heart stop for a moment, but, as you can see, I am fine." Said he, I smiled and hugged him "but next time I tell you to stay somewhere, stay there!" He finished, pulling away from me, I smiled and nodded. He stood and checked up on the training grounds, he turned back and told us he had to leave, the break was over.

He kissed my forehead and nodded to Merlin before turning and walking back to the youngest knights. I turned to Merlin and flooded him with questions "d-do you think Augustus told Arthur of our conversation? I thought you had taken care of Augustus!" I said, befuddled, Merlin sighed.

"I said for a while, I didn't know how long he would stay perocuppied. No, he did not tell Arthur, Arthur's too happy, Arthur would immedietly order for Carter to be taken to Uther and sentenced...either to death or to jailtime...most likely death, knowing Arthur. I'm sorry, Percyla, don't worry, Augustus hasn't said a thing yet!" Said Merlin, reassuringly, I smiled and nodded...then terror came over me. Carter's life depended on what came out of that boy's mouth...I had to warn Carter.

"Yet Merlin...he hasn't said anything...yet" said I, feeling my insides freeze again.