Chapter Eight

LUCAS P.O.V.

"I miss mommy." Leilah hugged me. "I miss mommy too. But we can speak to her if you want." I said holding her back. "Okay come on." She said. "Hi mommy, its me Lucas." I said looking out the window talking to the stars. "And me Leilah!" She yelled. "We love you and miss you so much." I said. "Yeah and me too. They are mean to us here! Taco, Arianna, Justin and Calvin all are me to us! Can you come home and take us back to the house! They be in here hitting me! And it hurts really really bad! Auntie is mean and she give me no snacks!" Leilah yelled. I looked at her because I was starting to feel bad. "Who you talking to?" My aunt came in the room smoking a cigarette. Leilah got scared. "She talking to my mother." I said disgusted by seeing her. She don't tell me this type of stuff. "I don't give a fuck who she talking to! She yelling out my window!" My aunt yelled. "But that's how she speaking to my mother." I said. "I don't care Lucas! You better be lucky I took y'all asses in! I should've let y'all go! To foster care! Separated!" She yelled at me. That shit was hurting but I didn't break. "We probably would've been better off." I said. "Who you talking to? Respect your fucking Auntie! That's why your mother was fucking your fa--" My uncle cut her off. "Get out if here with that!" He yelled. "No he looks down on all of us just like she did! Y'all not better than us! Trust me! I know some shit that will crush you!" She yelled. "Spit it out!" I yelled pissed off. "Nah I'm not even going to do it to you baby boy you not ready for this! Just sleep on your little bed and get ready for work tomorrow!" She yelled. "Maybe you should follow after me!" I yelled back. "Talk back again ima smack you across your face! I'm still your aunt mother fucker!" She yelled. "Dish out respect and you get respect. Stop crying Leilah." I picked her up. "That's her problem now! All y'all do is baby her! Put her down! She three years old thinking she's one! You getting to be a big girl shut up with all that crying!" My aunt yelled and Leilah start wiping her tears. "Fuck outta here talk to your kids like that bitch! Don't talk to my little sister like that fuck outta here! You not her mother and won't never be. You a broke down version of her mother!" I yelled. "No I won't never be nothing like her mother! I'm far from a hoe! God didn't want that bitch in this world no more! So he took her out!" She did a crooked ass laugh. I wanted to fight her so bad or somebody. I had to get up out that house for a while. Its ten thirty and I'm taking Leilah. I called Dillyn. "Hello?" He answered. "Y'all came back home yet?" I asked. "Nah man. We still in my uncle house and this nigga acting like a lil bitch." He said. "Aight let me call you back." I hung up. I called Will. "Yo bro?" He answered. "Im about to pull up." I said. "Aight." He said. I hung up and start getting Leilah dressed. "Where we going?" She asked sucking her thumb. "We going to Will house." I said. "But his doggy going to bite me." She said. "No the doggy not Lay Lay." I chuckled. I put her coat back on and then put mines and then we left. I flagged a cab down. "Why auntie don't like me?" She asked. "I don't know baby. She phony because mommy gone now." I said trying to save myself from a breakdown. "I just want mommy to come back and get us so we can go home." She said. "Yeah me too. I wish this was a dream and not reality." I said looking at my phone because Meme start calling me. "Hello?" I answered. "What's going on with you and auntie?" She asked. "Nothing, I'm just done." I said. "Tell me what happened." She said. "I don't feel like talking about it. Its gonna make me go beat her up." I said paying the cab guy. "She said you was being real disrespectful! And by the tone in your voice you sound like you were! Let me explain something to you Lucas! You have to stop acting like a little boy and grow up! Mommy's dead and its nothing we can do about it!" She yelled. "STOP FUCKING SAYING THAT!" I lost my cool with her. Then I hung up. Me and Leilah got out the cab and went in Will house, it was a house full. "Lucas what are you doing here so late with my princess?" Will mom picked her up. "I had too." I mumbled and walked into Will room. "I thought you was bluffing on the phone." He said giving me a pound. "Nah." I sat down and start rubbing my temple. My mind was going crazy looking for answers all that shit my aunt was saying was spinning around in my head and all I kept hearing from my sister is "mommy's dead and there's nothing we can do about it" I have to prove niggas wrong. I'm going to find out who shot my mother and why! I couldn't be a good person at this time. I got wayyyy too much anger built up inside of me and I'm seeing red. "Yo what up my nigga Lucas!" Chris, Will little brother spoke but I couldn't respond I was closed out not really worried what he was saying. "Yo bro I gotta get outta here. I be right back please hold Leilah down and don't let the dogs near her she scared shitless." I popped up. "Nah nigga you got that look in your eyes don't go out there being stupid." Will said. "Please bro let me just get some air." I said pacing back and forth. "Nah nigga I can't afford to let something happen to you!" He shouted and here come his mother. "What's going on?" She asked holding Leilah still. "I can't be in the house right now!" I shot passed all three of them and left out side not knowing what I was going to do. I just start walking.
I walked to the front of our house door and it was open. They was doing a pretty good job fixing up the rooms. It wasn't done but the new creations was looking pretty fantastic. I went to my mom room and all I can smell was her. I seen a few things that she looked nice in. I seen her favorite pajamas, her favorite slippers and her favorite hair net. Everything looked like she was getting ready to go somewhere. An ordinary day. "Ma please come back." I whispered as tears came down my face as I seen a picture of her. "Why are you crying son?" I heard my mother voice. Im hallucinating. I shook it off and continued to stare at her beautiful picture. I miss her so much. "Why were you being disrespectful to your aunt?" I hear her voice again and I know I'm not bugging. "Mom you came back?" I looking harder at the picture. "Boy you know that's impossible. I never left you or your sister side. And I never will." I hear her but the mouth not moving, I just know I'm not bugging. "Ma?" I asked looking deeply at the picture and wiped my tears. "Like you told Leilah, I won't be physically there but I'm always here to listen. Talk to me my son." I feel this cold breeze go by. I look around the room and everything's the same. "I miss you and I don't feel right living in the house with Auntie Erin. She's not who she portrayed to be all these years. She went from being my favorite to the one I dislike the most. Why did no one else take us in? I'm scared for how Leilah going to turn out in that house. Its scary and I would hate for her to have to experience whatever they going through. She used to the good like. She don't go through them problems." I said tapping the picture. "I know son and I don't want y'all to live there either but you know your uncle job. Why don't you ask your sister can you live with them for a while?" I hear my mom respond back to me. "Because Leilah don't really feel comfortable there because she don't know them. She was actually happy to be out their house the day we left. I don't want her some where she don't want to be. I know she don't want to be at Auntie Erin house." I said feeling sad again. "I know baby and you're the greatest son a mother could ask for. I love you honey and I was so happy to hear my baby girl actually speak, well yell to me. Even though the things were bad. I was just happy she was speaking to her mommy." The voice spoke back. "Because we really love and miss you mommy. I wish you can come back. I know you can't but I wish it was possible." I said with tears falling out my eyes again. "Boys are weaker than girls." The voice spoke in a teasing voice and it sounded just like my mother again. That reminded me of the day her and Leilah and all my cousins were saying they stronger than guys. "You were right." I smiled at the picture. "I wish my baby was here to hear that. She would've cheered like she loved to do." Am I bugging? Maybe I passed that stage. I'm sitting here hallucinating and answering back. Yeah I'm bugging. "You're not bugging baby you just surprised that I'm responding. I'm tired now and ready to go to sleep. I will speak to you soon pa, go back to your sister she's looking for you. I love yall and be safe out there please. Later baby boy." The voice spoke and then the room start to heat up. "Don't leave me again ma!" I shouted but I know she was already long gone. I was about to cry but I didn't. I just got up and place the picture right back where it was. Then I left the house. I felt wayyyyy better. Let me go back. I checked my phone and I had missed calls from almost everybody.