Chapter 17

"Listen to me. When I say so, you run."

I nod at Harry and prepare myself to escape with them. Sweat beads down my forehead and my hands are shaking uncontrollably. These Shadows just wont stop at anything, and it's scaring me to death.

"What business do you have with Princess Renalde?" Mabel asks with a shaky voice, her hand entangled in mine.

David stands there with his glassy black eyes, growling. There's still a grey tint to his skin, as well as actual cracks running up and down his body. There's still a dark cloud surrounding him, and his hair slowly begins to turn black as he stares at us longer and longer. His mouth curves up into an evil grin, showing that his teeth are practically rotten out of his head.

Wow, these Shadows are fucking ugly.

The first, and most unexpected words, come out of the Shadow. "I've come to claim what's mine." 

The voice that escapes what once was David was properly the most horrifying thing my ears have ever come across. Picture a snake hiss, blended with the exorcist and the grudge. Not going to lie, I nearly just wet myself.

"What's yours?" I shout with a random burst of unknown courage. I step around Harry's protective arm and stand closer to David. "I don't know you sent you, mister Shadow, but I don't belong to you or the crazy witch bitch who sent you!" I shout at it. My eyes go wide at what I just did. 

Where did that courage come from?!

The Shadow snarled at me and lunged for my neck. I heard Harry and Mabel shout behind me as it pinned me to the wall by my neck. I kick at David's legs and peeled at his fingers as I try to break free. It leans in to my ear and I go still with fear.

It whispers slowly in my ear. "You are mine. Although not now, you will be mine once more." It's words snake down my eardrums and send my insides turning. I let out a whimper at the creature releases my neck and steps away. 

I blink and rub my neck. But the moment I open my eyes.....David is on the floor and a large black shadow is screeching as it quickly flies out of the library.

Mabel runs to David, who's convulsing and flailing on the floor. Harry runs straight to me and holds me upright. "Are you okay, I'm so sorry, the Shadow set up a barrier! We couldn't get to you!" he says frantically. I hold his hands still and give him a small reassuring smile.

"I'm quite alright, thanks Harry." I quickly drop his hands and blush, which results in his giving off a wide smirk.

Mabel gets Harry to calm down from his seizure and we run over to him. He looks back to normal for the most part, the cracks are healed but his skin is taking a while to turn back to it's usual pale tan color. His hair, strand by strand, is turning back to it's brown curls, as well as his eyes turning from black to hazel.

David looks up at me and he looks as if he's about to cry. I bend down next to him and stroke his hair.

"What's wrong, what is it?!" I ask him worriedly.

"I saw it come in but I had no time to do anything about it. I couldn't control anything, it took over me! I didn't mean to hurt you, Frankie, you have to believe me." he says as he softly touches the forming bruise on my neck. I help David stand up and engulf the half of his body that I can actually reach in a hug. The fear and shock of what just happened kick in and a few tears escape my eyes and onto his shirt. He hugs me tighter and whispers, "I'm so sorry."

"it wasn't you and it wasn't your fault." I whisper back to him.

After I reassure him that I don't hold him against anything that happened, I turn to face everyone else in the room.