Chapter 19

Nick's POV

It was now or never.

I thought as I made my way to Matt's office. I had to do this, if not for that bi*ch, then for my sister.

I entered Matt's office without knocking. He was on a call when I saw him. I've never seen him this happy when he was with my sister. But now that that bi*ch is in his life, all he does is smile.

He placed his phone on his desk when he was done.
"That was Anna" he smiles again

"I figured" I faked a smile "How's she?"

"Incredible" he said looking at the brown envelope I was holding "What's that?"

"Uhh. I hate to do this but I can't keep it from you anymore" I said

"What is it?"

Now he was curious. Good.

"Matt, I got this yesterday. I did it when I first met her, and recently I thought I was wrong but I got this from the investigator a few days ago, but I also have something for you"

"We're talking about Anna?" He asked

"Sadly, yes"

He just nodded

"What did she tell you about the conversation we had at the restaurant?" I asked him

"Hmm, nothing. Why?" His brows creased

I hoped for that. My plan was working great.

I brought the recorder out from the brown envelope and placed it on his desk.
"Listen to that" I said and waited for him to play the tape.

He picked it up and pressed play.

"So, you wanted to meet up?" It was Anna's voice

"Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you and apologize" I said to her in the tape and the conversation went on

"For what?" She asked

"For thinking you were with Matt for his money" I said

"Why would you think I'm with Matt for his money?" She asked

"Every girl he's dated has been with him for his money. I didn't think you'll be any different" I said calmly

"My mum's sick and in the hospital. Yes. That would make me be with Matt for his money" she said.
The expression on Matt's face was worth it. He was shocked out of his bones.

"So I'll tell you again" she continued "I'm with him for his money. You can start minding your business and leave mine and Matt's alone" she sounded angry "Cause he wouldn't like you poking in our business. He wouldn't even believe you if you told him cause he trusts me that much" there was a rustling sound. That was when she got up.

"The truth always comes out" I said

"Matt doesn't need this from you. To know that he trusts me, it wouldn't even cross his mind that I'm with him for his money even though I am"

The tape stopped. Matt's expression was priceless. This was what I loved.

He looked at me with the same shocked expression. He got up.
"What is this?" He asked

"It's the conversation Anna and I had and I thought maybe you'd like to hear it" I said

"This isn't true. Is it?" He asked

"Sorry man" I said

"It can't be. She truly loves me"

"They all pretend man. They're all after one thing and that's your money"