Chapter Nine- News and More Tears

Unknown POV
                                     Everything was black, and I couldn't see anything. Then, I felt something. My head was pounding, and it felt like my back was on fire. Then, I saw her, and knew exactly where I was.

                        Rachel's POV
                               I sat near the door, straining to hear what the men were saying. Then, I heard whooping, and yelling.

     "Should we turn it up so they can hear?" Laughter.
     "Do it! Let 'em lose a bit more hope." The tv got louder, and the men got quiet. I could hear what the reporter was saying.

      "Fans all over the world are in shock, and in tears as the shocking news comes in. At about 8:27 this morning, Joel Smallbone, one third of Christian rock band For King and Country, died from injuries sustained as he attempted to prevent his wife, Moriah Peters, from being kidnapped. Most of his family was unavailable for comment, but his mother, Helen, had this to say. 'I don't know how to accept that he's gone, but I know I'll see him again, in heaven. My son, he was born with a servants heart, and the only thing I regret is that he died not knowing whether or not his wife and daughter are safe. He raised her well, and he loved them.' A date for his memorial service has not been set, but it can be assumed that the church will be full. There is a possibility that this is the end of the band, as Rachel and Luke, the other two-thirds of the band have disappeared. The country waits, watches, and mourns with the family.

                  I collapsed, sobbing. Dad was dead?! This couldn't be true! I felt mom's arms around me, and then Uncle Luke hugged me as well.

     "Hey, baby. What happened? What did you hear?" Mom whispered, rubbing my back.
      "Dad......he's dead." Then, I lost it. I was crying so hard, I couldn't breathe. Uncle Luke drew a sharp breath.
      "Joel's dead? He died?" I nodded, hiccuping with sobs. I felt him tense up, and saw something I'd never seen before in his eyes.  I saw pain, sorrow, and anger. He stood, going to the door.

      "You happy now?! Thanks to you, he's dead!! You happy now?!?! What else do you want?! All of us dead?!?!" He yelled, and then he just dropped. All the fight suddenly disappeared from his eyes, and he started crying. I slid out of mom's arms, and crawled over to him, hugging him. He wrapped his arms around me, and mom hugged us too. Mom was now a.....no. I couldn't admit it. She was a....a widow, and a single parent. I was fatherless. It just wasn't fair! Why would God let this happen?! Why would God let my father die, and we didn't even get to say goodbye. This just couldn't be real.

                  Unknown POV
                            I followed them down the hall, and they opened the door. The apartment was ready, and we were heading there. It would take work, but I was going to do it. I was going to work as long as I had to. It would be hard, but I'd do it. No matter what.

                    Courtney's POV
                               I sat in the car, tears streaming down my cheeks. Joel was dead. Lucy didn't remember any of us. Rachel, Moriah, and Luke were missing. Could things get any worse? I pulled over, going into the chapel right beside the hospital. I went up to the front, sitting down in the pew, and I started crying even harder. I looked up, crying out to God.

       "God, where are you?! You say you're watching over us. You say you'll never leave us or forsake us. You say you take care of us. But why?! Why did Joel have to die?! Why did my husband disappear?! Why can't Lucy remember her own family?! Why is Moriah now a widow and Rachel fatherless?! What are you doing with this?! Why did you take him? God, you said you'll never leave us or forsake us! I don't see you here! Where are you?!" I screamed, and then I started sobbing. I thought I heard a whisper, but I thought I was just imagining it. As I headed back out, I was sure I heard something this time.

       "I will always be there. You just won't always see me." I turned on the radio, and shockingly, the song playing was Shoulders. I just sat there, listening to the song as it played.

      When confusion is my companion
      And despair holds me for ransom,
      I will feel no fear. I know that you're near.
     When I'm caught deep in the valley
     With chaos for my company
      I will feel fear. I know that you are near.

      My help comes from you,
      You're right here pulling me through
      You carry my weakness, my sickness,
      My brokenness all on your shoulders
      Your shoulders, my help comes from you
      You are my rest, my rescue
      I don't have to see to believe that you're
      Lifting me up on your shoulders,
      Your shoulders

       You mend what once was shattered
       And you turn my tears to laughter
       Your forgiveness is my fortress
       Oh, your mercy is relentless

        My help comes from you,
        You're right here pulling me through
        You carry my weakness, my sickness.
        My brokenness all on your shoulders
        Your shoulders. My help comes from you
        You are my rest, my rescue
        I don't have to see to believe that
        you're lifting me up on your shoulders
        Your shoulders

         My help is from you
         Don't have to to see to believe it
         My help is from you
         Don't have to see, cause I know, I know it's true.

         My help comes from you
         You're right here, pulling me through.
         You carry my weakness, my sickness,
         My brokenness all on your shoulders
         Your shoulders, My help comes from you
         You are my rest, my rescue
         I don't have to see to believe that you're
         Lifting me up on your shoulders,
         Your shoulders.

         My help is from you
        Don't have to see to believe it
        My help is from you
        Don't have to see, cause I know, cause I know it's true
        My help is from you
        Don't have to see to believe it
       My help is from you
       Don't have to see, cause I know, cause I know it's true.

        I leaned against the seeing wheel, still crying. They had written this song when we thought Luke was going to die, and now. Now, I was listening to it after Joel died. Maybe somehow, despite all of this, God would bring something good. I just couldn't see how.