Eight

I sit in my meeting that has gone on for four hours now. Talking money with the board. Talking money with the new construction team, architects, as well as  the interior design team.

"We've been cleared by the state to demolish this building and to begin building Morse Hotel. Anyone with any problems you come directly to me. We can't afford to lose any money with this building. Too many people want this land and there are too many other competitors near this land. I want us to be the best." I looked at them all. "Dismissed."

As they all pack their papers to leave, Samantha walks over to me. "Sir you have a visitor. It's Miss Young sir, do you want me to send her away?"

"Send her to my office I'll be there in a moment."

"Uh yes sir." She walks out obviously trying hard to mask her disappointment. Which she is failing at since I can see her shaking her head as she leaves. I round up the last bit of contracts before shoving them back into their file.

Walking into my office, "Fields in my office."

She leaves her desk moving quickly, "Yes sir."

"My filing cabinet. I have files all along that back wall there that need to be put away in year and in month order. I am going with Vanessa Young I am not to be disturbed unless an emergency arises so I am leaving my business phone. You are to answer the calls and take messages. I expect to see the messages on my desk when I return."

I look to Vanessa with a slight smile, "Are we drinking this evening?"

"Not if you don't want to."

"Have Henry bring the car around."

"Yes sir."

I open the door for Vanessa and place my hand at the lower part of her back leading her out of the office. I look at her for the first time, she's in skinny jeans and a simple shirt. Based off her attire we could be going anywhere and I don't know if I like that. I need to know so that I can prepare mentally.

"Hi." She says smiling very big.

"Hello Vanessa." I say.

__________________________

"Where are we going?"

"You won't stop asking will you?"

"No."

"Fine, there is a place down on Fifth. I love this place it has the best pizza and pasta."

"A pizza date?"

"No we could be going for the pasta."

I don't remark on it. At least I know where we are going. Though I'm not entirely sure whether knowing is all that better than not knowing. I'm all for having pizza but not with her as a date and not at some rundown restaurant. I need to be asking her if I hurt her when we were fucking but instead I'm indulging in a stupid date.

I pull up to the building per her instructions. She jumps out the car quite literally and smiles bright. She shoves her hands in her ass pockets while I lag behind though I am somewhat along side her.

"This is where I used to work before I got my current job."

It had an apple bees feel except it was much more country. She smiles and waves at people as we walk in. I keep an appropriate amount of distance so that she and I aren't assumed to be much more than strangers.