Thirty

Six Months Later

The box in my pocket is weighing heavy as I sit here in this meeting. Everything in my mind is racing. All I want to do is go home and make up with Vanessa. I know she's pretty upset because I've been working a lot lately. "All I ever do is work" and I get that but if she knew that it was for the very news I want to share with her today I'm sure she'll forgive me.

I haven't heard from her all day but that should make this all the more special. There is nothing better than make up sex.

We close out this meeting for the evening. I'm packing my things and practically running out the door. I get to my office put away my papers and files. Samantha meets me at the door.

"Good luck tonight sir."

"Thank you Ms. Fields and congratulations to you." I say with all sincerity.

She smiles, "Thank you."

"How soon do you find out if it's a boy or girl?"

"I'm not sure yet." She shrugs.

"Alright, well good night." I leave my office and she follows me shortly after. Getting in the car I begin thinking of what I'm actually going to say to her.

_______________________

The door of her house opens to the trail of red roses I spilled that lead her straight to me. I stand there anxiously waiting and she walks over to me. Dressed in last nights clothes and makeup stains under her eyes she looks to have been crying. She looks terrible if I'm honest but I think that add to the story.

"Vanessa what's wrong?"

"After our argument last night I..." She breaks off and her eyes pool with tears.

"Baby I was wrong, you were right. I haven't been treating you the way you deserve, like I promised. I've been short tempered, I've been busy, and I've been distant. But I love you. I love you and I want to do this with you forever..." I get down on one knee and she begins crying. Not like the normal light cries I've seen in the proposals on YouTube. She begins heaving and her nose runny, her hands on her eyes. I try reaching for her hand but she recoils it.

"Are you fucking kidding me!" She cries out to the sky.

"Vanessa?" What the hell is going on?

She is nuts absolutely insane but I love her and I'll take all of this weird shit and then some if I can have her for the rest of my--

"I slept with another guy! Last night I had sex with another guy that wasn't you! Okay God, are you happy?! I'm sorry Damien I am I have felt guilty all fucking day! I might want to marry you but I can't. I can't marry you because you have changed me into this person I don't even know. I don't know who I am or what the fuck I'm doing."

"You can't blame me for that." I say my voice low.

"But it was you I remember who I was before you. I know I wasn't always like this. I was different."

Unable to think clearly I repeat, "You can't blame me for that."

"Damien....my answer is no."

That's when I lose it. I rise from my place on the floor I shove the ring back into my pocket.

"Do you honestly believe the offer is still on the fucking table?! Are you that stupid?! You fuck someone else then blame your shit on me?! And still you think I want to marry you." I laugh unhumored. Then my laugh fades and all I can think is leave before you hurt her.