Chapter-4

As a general rule, I preferred not to ask the question 'can it get worse' because the universe might be in the mood to answer and will be a complete darling and provide a detailed explanation of what could go wrong and even drop a few examples.

That's Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong, will. Must have been a very optimistic person. Although, at that point I was sure he was still more optimistic than me.

There's something about having a gun pointed between your eyes that can kill your vibe. Or kill you.

Either way there was no denying that I was dead.

A scary calm settled over me and I became numb to all my sensations. It felt like an out of body experience. It happens when you're in shock or stressed. Well, the fact that I could recall that much said that I could still think straight.

There were two men. Both were dressed in black leather. Their skin had a light tan and they had dark hair. That was where the similarities ended.

One of them had blue eyes and the other had hazel. The hazel eyed one looked a lot more menacing with the relatively stronger build and the gun, but the quiet, calm, detatched blue eyed one was the one that truly scared me.

"Who are you?" I feigned innocence. My voice sounded foreign to my ears. I knew exactly who they were. The way they carried themselves, the Mediterranean features gave it all away. And also the minor detail that one of them had a gun.

Blue eyes chuckled, but there was no amusement in his eyes. He looked like he was in his late thirties.

"She's a slow one isn't she? And she looks so small. Is Adrian sure it's her?"

Adrian. I held on to that name. It might come in handy .

The hazel eyed man laughed. "I doubt it, but I'm not planning on questioning the boss anytime soon."

Adrian DeLuca! I read about him in the papers. He was a rumored Mafia Boss of the DeLucas. He graduated business school at eighteen. He was a prodigy. At twenty, he took over the legitimate companies of the DeLucas. There were rumors that he'd taken over the Mafia too. And he was so fucking smart and manipulative that the DeLucas became much, much stronger under his leadership. I certainly respected him, despite never having met him. I'm not entirely sure I wanted to meet him.

I didn't reply.

"Get out of the car." Hazel said.

Don't let them take you to a different location. I had to act and I had to do it now.

I slowly stepped out of the car and suddenly ran down the streets, lockinh them in.

The car unlocked from inside, but I had switched on the child-lock which prevented it. They were trapped in.

Adrenaline fueled my great escape and suddenly I heard gunshots and the sound of glass crashing. I looked behind and I saw them get out of the car, having broken the glass, they were atleast a seventy meters behind me but it wasn't far enough. I'm sure the gun had a longer range.

I screamed in terror. But there was nobody to hear.

I was growing tired. My pace was slowing. Why did I bunk all the gym classes of my life? Please, please, please hold it together. My feet slapped against the concrete of the road and I was running short of breath.

I heard feet pounding on the road.

Hide, you idiot!

It was too late, one of them caught my hair and I yelled in pain. He covered my mouth with his hand and I tried to bite but my teeth couldn't find any purchase. I thrashed around. Kicked, punched, scratched, but nothing worked. The men dragged me to the black car that was parked next to mine. It had no license plate.