Chapter-19

I followed Adrian. I wanted to say something to make things better, but I didn't know what. One of the reasons I had no friends was because I was utter rubbish at the entire sympathise and empathize department.

I didn't get the point of crying over others' problems. If you care, help them act and fix it. If not then ignore and walk on.

Just like my Adrian was walking.

It was a jarring wake-up call. Villians are also humans. Not that I won't kill them or anything. But at the end of the day, Adrian was a twenty three year old who had to grow up sooner than he should have. Was due to his intelligence? Or because of his family.

I was following him, lost in my own thoughts while he was drowning in his. I had the weirdest urge to take him in my arms and hug him tight. Even though I barely knew him. And out limited interactions weren't exactly...pleasant.

He walked up to Katja's quarters. The sun was rising now. I had been deprived of a night's sleep.

I watched as Adrian knocked on the door and Katja opened it. She looked confused as she handed a piece of paper to him.

He took the paper and his eyes widened in surprise. Hmm..

He looked back at Katja and smiled and thanked her. She tried to slam the door shut, realizing that something was out of the ordinary. Adrian put his foot in between the door, effectively stopping it. I walked faster. I didn't know what to expect.

Adrian pushed the door open and gently took Katja's hands in his. I was close enough to make out the words he spoke.

"Thank you, Katja. You don't need to be afraid, okay? This was just a bad dream, forget it. Now I want you to go inside and go to sleep. Give the project a bread. When you wake up you'll be refreshed. "

Katja stared at him, dazed for a minute. Then she slowly nodded.

Adrian smiled and let her go.

He turned around and saw me staring. He frowned, but didn't acknowledge me. I was still surprised at his small display of affection. The aftermath of my outburst?

He's not a good person. He WILL kill or abandon you if you cease to be useful.

Yep, I needed that reminder.

I was sort of jealous. Obviously. What did I have to do to be on the receiving end of that affection?

You could start by controlling your temper.

Sure. Easy. I was no angel. And Adrian liked angels, not bitches. Even though he was no saint.

I ran to catch up with him.

"What was on the paper?" I asked.

He ignored. If we were going to act mature...

"Are you deaf!! What was on that paper!?"

Okay, you guys know that being nice wasn't one of my more...er...significant attributes.

Adrian abruptly turned around and looked at me. His eyes flashed like like lightening.

"I'll tell you when I want to tell you. We're going to your apartment. You need to dig up your passport." He said in his usual calm and smooth voice.

"You can't take me outside the country!!"

"I can and I will. Now, get into the fucking car."

I got in but expressed my reluctance by slamming the door shut, harder than necessary. Adrian winced. Mission accomplished.