Chapter-5

DeLuca Mansion, Los Angeles

Antonio and Damien walked out leaving me alone with one of the most dangerous men in the world. Gee, thanks.

Adrian wasn't what I expected. He didn't look physically intimidating. But his steel grey eyes sparkled like sunlight on a sword. They sparkled with immense intelligence. And I should know how dangerous intelligence can be. While you can easily run a sword through your enemy and end his life, if you were smart you could make sure the person driving the sword was himself. That scared the shit out of me and the mere thought made me shudder amd sent chills down my spine.

He was dressed in a black suit that may as well have money written over it. Probably Armani.

Adrian DeLuca said nothing. Neither did I, but I felt as if he were seeing everything. My innermost thoughts, my deepest fears.

"What do you want?" My voice wasn't shaky. And I was proud of that.

His beautiful lips curved into a cruel smile. His beauty was a weapon and from the way he carried himself, he knew it.

"Why don't you tell me? Unless you were admiring my looks instead of sizing up your enemy?" He said in a monotone.

What had I gotten myself into? I realised the power of this man. He didn't need physical strength or even a gun. His words can twist and alter reality. He could read people and play them like a fucking piano. I saw similar traces in Dylan. But even he was nothing compared to this man. I had to be very, very, very careful before I act. He wouldn't hurt me physically but there was worse he could do.

You might think it's strange. That I'm acting stupid, being afraid without any threats or many words being exchanged. But his eyes were emotionless. Try looking Vladimir Putin or Napoleon or Churchill or any other smart, powerful man in the eye and lying or doing anything, really. You feel stupid and respectful. Powerless in their presence. That's how I felt.

But I would fight and wreck havoc because there was nothing else to do.

"I can't read minds. And frankly, I'm grateful I can't read yours."

"Afraid to find out what I have in store for people who think they are too smart?" He asked. It didn't sound like a threat. But this guy didn't make it by handing out empty threats.

"Afraid to know how deep humanity has sunk. And I know I'm smart."

"So tell me, where was this intelligence when you hacked into the computer and stole sensitive information?"

Thank you, Karma.

"I didn't steal it. My friend asked me to hack in. So I did and I saw it."

"Who was this 'friend'?"

I wasn't going to take Dylan's name.

"Answer me, or I have other ways of finding out, sodium amytal usually works."

Shit. Shit. Shit. But Dylan was missing. Maybe he ran? His family was rich and well off. He sensed my reluctance. I didn't want to give away Dylan's name so soon.

He raised an eyebrow.

"I think your eyebrow is trying to run from your face." Yep, typical Chevron stupidity.

"Well, atleast I'm not running for my life." He said, unfazed.

Okay then. But I couldn't find Dylan. I knew he won't be able to either. I didn't know how I knew. Was it intuition? Or something else. Either way. The DeLucas were a force to be reckoned with. I didn't want to be the one messing with them.

"Dylan Di Angelo." I blurted.

When did I make the decision to say it out loud?

"Di Angelo." He whispered, his eyes lit up for a moment before they turned emotionless again.

I narrowed my eyes. Something bigger was definitely at play. He knew Dylan. What was Dylan to him? Dylan's family came from money. Him being involved in the Mafia was not a stretch. Only I thought he was too stupid to survive in a world of sharks. But people put on acts. I have been acting like a sarcastic, antisocial bitch for the past few years.

He locked his eyes on me. It was like staring at a cobra. You know you should run, but you're stuck there, admiring it's scales.

"You know him." I said.

He tensed up ever so slightly and his eyes widened a bit. If I hadn't been studying him to find chinks in his armor I might have not noticed it.

It revealed two things.

He wasn't prepared for it. And that was a big reaction for him. Which meant he was someone who relied on planning more than improvisation. Which means if things go wrong in his plan, he's screwed. Which meant I'm going to have to catch him off guard.

Secondly. He knew Dylan. Possibly where he was and what was up with him.

"Well that was a surprise," he said.

"And you hate surprises."

"So you noticed."

Shit. I hadn't meant to reveal that card!

He laughed without humor. It scared me a bit.

"Don't even try, my love. I'm much more skilled at reading people than you'll ever be. I used you to find out Dylan's name. Dylan used you to get through the security. You don't know what you are dealing with." He said mercilessly.

Shit. How could I be so stupid!? He thought I was a joke. Dylan betraying me cut me to the core. I actually felt my heart collapse on itself like a star going out. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid girl. What else did he know?

I was doubting myself. This was very bad. It was one of his mind games.

He was looking at me, amused.

I snarled to cover up.

"You are quite lucky I found you before Castellino or Abandonato did. They are out for your blood. I have a feeling you could prove useful. So I will not let you leave."

Were they actually out for my blood? Or was this his way of making sure I don't attempt to escape.

Brilliant job, Chevie. One conversation with this guy and your brain is fried. How are you supposed to survive!?

"Stop it." I said. Enough is enough.

"Stop what?"

"Playing your mind games. You're a Mafia Boss. I'll give you what you want."

"Now, where's the fun in that?"

Fun. I was a joke to him. What an idiot.

"Antonio, Damien take her away."

I looked behind and the two men were already there. How and when did they get in?

Damien made a motion to grab me when I heard Adrian's voice again.

"No one touches her. Not even you."

He was looking at the bruises on my wrists. Something flashed in his metallic grey eyes but disappeared before I could figure out what it was.

I tucked my hands in the pocket of my hoodie.

Damien and Antonio motioned for me to follow them. Not knowing what else to do, I trailed after them. I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding. At least I'm out of the office and away from him. I need to come up with an escape plan. I wasn't too worried about that. They thought I wasn't a threat. They have no idea how wrong they are.