Chapter 31

Within five hours we were back on Adrian's jet. Antonio had bought me a thick jacket covered with cute little penguins. I nearly kicked him in the golden spot.

The minute we got on the jet Adrian switched back to Mafia Boss mode and disappeared into the bedroom.

"So. How did you guys get into this mess?" I asked.

"I told you. Hacked into the FBI mainframe. Got in trouble. Adrian stepped in to save the day."

I looked at Damien. I wondered if the ex CIA agent could tell that I knew.

Damien shrugged. "Used to work for the CIA. I was posted in the Mafia. When my cover was blown, my life was threatened. Adrian let me live and I've been his friend ever since. Or at least the closest to a friend. Antonio is my brother, he came looking for me."

"And the CIA just forgot about you?"

"No actually, the CIA thinks I'm dead. The minute my cover was blown I became a liability. Adrian helped me when the CIA sent out an order to terminate me." He said casually.

"Wow. I thought the CIA were the good guys."

"The world isn't as black and white as you think. It appears so because what kind of a country would allow it's civilians to see the cost of keeping them protected?"

I mulled on that for a while. Antonio was fast asleep and Damien and Isaac were working on their laptops.

I sighed and went into the bedroom.

Adrian was talking on the phone in Italian. His voice was cold and calm. I knew that tone. He was probably dishing out orders to his men. He looked at me.

"Parlerò al più tardi, ho qualcosa di più importante da sbrigare."

And with that he cut the phone.

"What?" He asked slightly annoyed.

"Everyone is busy and I'm bored."

"So find a way to entertain yourself. " He said dismissively.

"Pissing you off is entertaining."

He rolled his eyes. I went and made myself comfortable on the bed. In front of me was a flat screen TV that showed the altitude and flight route.

"Hey, you didn't ask me how I got into Castellino's place neither did you tell me about our little detour."

Adrian walked over and sat on the bed next to me, legs outstretched. His dark brown hair was messy and it gave him a sexy, boyish charm.

"I knew. When you asked me about your clothes, you opened that chit momentarily in your room. I saw through the cameras." He said in that same detatched tone.

"Why didn't you tell me!?" I demanded.

"I wanted to see whose side you were on." He said smiling, "And I wanted to see what you would do. As for why I took that little detour...well. Do you remember about il labirinto?"

"The maze?"

"Castellino has the layouts for it. "

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because even when he was on fire he yelled at his men to secure the layouts. You couldn't make out, it was in Italian. But before I could get them, you got shot." He said trailing a finger across my shoulder.

"Thank you." I whispered, "I should have said it sooner, but thank you for saving my life."

"Don't thank me. You risked a lot stepping into Castellino's house too. Let's call it even." He said.