Chapter 5(EDITED)

The next day, I walked into school, prepared for the worst. Everyone was talking about how I fainted in class. But Jared had also walked in with a black eye, which caused a lot of rumors as well. He was saying that his booty call last night threw a shoe at him, but others are saying that he likes to be dominated in bed and things went too far. Even though he was getting some talk, he was still the captain of the football team. After first period, everyone was back to talking about me. They were only talking about me fainting and not about gym class. I was thankful that nothing was spreading with Derrick and I. During the morning, I couldn't walk through the halls without someone making fun of me. I tried to ignore it as best as I can, but it got harder as the day went on. Everyone had pictures of the the 

In health class, my teacher asked if I was feeling better. I was very thankful that not many people were in class when I gave my answer. Like any other day, people kept whispering things and throwing papers at me. Just when I couldn't take it anymore, the bell rang for lunch.

Heading to my spot for lunch, I hoped Derrick was there. He wasn't there. Pushing Derrick to the back of my mind, I focused on forgetting what people have said to me today. It was harder than I thought. No matter how hard I tried, my mind kept going back to Derrick. I knew it was silly to think that just because of the conversation we had yesterday that he would all of a sudden start hanging out with me. I was jolted out of my thoughts when someone called my name.

"Hey, Abigail!"

I turned around to see who had said my name. It was Derrick. I couldn't help but have a smile spread over my face. Maybe I didn't have to have lunch alone anymore.

"Hey."

"I've been looking all over for you. Is this your spot or something?"

It warmed my heart knowing someone had been looking for me. Smiling, I said, "Yeah. I discovered this spot sophomore year. I've never told anyone about it, so please keep it a secret."

"No problem," he said, looking around, "I can see why you wouldn't want anyone to know about it. It's a neat little spot. I didn't even know this opening existed behind the trees." Gesturing to the seat across from me, he asked, "May I?"

"Go ahead. No one else is coming here."

He laughed, sitting down across from me. I had forgotten what it felt like to have company at lunch. I had had friends, but I have never felt like I did in that moment, accepted. I felt like I could be my true self and not be bullied or judged. I felt safe. I didn't need to worry about what I said. That feeling was something I had missed.

"So what's up?" he asked, taking out his lunch.

"Nothing much," I responded, looking down at my hands. He and I both knew that that wasn't true, but I didn't want to remember the bullying; I wanted to forget.

"You and I both know that is not true, Abi," he said.

My head snapped up. "What did you call me?"

"Abi. Is there something wrong?"

"My grandmother used to call me that." I smiled at the memory of her.

"Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know. I won't call you that."

"No it's fine. It is just strange hearing someone else call me that, but I like it." I looked at him just in time to see a smile spread across his face. His smile was beautiful. My eyes didn't know what to look at, his smile or his eyes. Both were beautiful.