Chapter 2

"Finally. New school year. The movie on Saturday went like a dream, though. Watching that new movie premiere with the three best people on the planet! Nino, Alya, and Adrien! I kinda felt bad, seeing Chloe and Sabrina there, though. It was kinda awkward, now that I think about it. But oh well. Anyways, today's Monday, and it's back to school for everyone. Lucky us... it's time to start skipping classes to go out as Ladybug again... Although we probably won't have much to do, now that Hawk Moth was captured... Finally. It's been a few months, but it still hurts me to remember that he was Adrien's father, the infamous Gabriel Agreste. I guess we have to move on, though. Adrien has. Anyways, it's funny to see how obsessed Alya is with me, even though she doesn't realize it's me. The only problem I have with her is the fact that she ships me with Cat Noir. Well, she ships Ladybug with Cat Noir. Cat Noir still flirts with me, but I don't know how to tell him I have a boyfriend already without crushing his heart. I don't know. We'll just have to see." Marinette closed her diary, put it back into her box, locked it, and grabbed her bag.

"You actually might be early today!" Tikki smiled as she followed Marinette out the door.

"Shh, hide." Marinette said as she opened her jacket and Tikki flew in.

"Good morning, Marinette!" Mrs. Cheng greeted her as she jumped down the stairs and grabbed a piece of bread with butter and jam, "looks like you're up early for once."

"Yeah, can't wait to get to school!" Marinette beamed as she stuffed the bread into her mouth, "so I'm going to head out now, see you!"

"Okay!" Mrs. Cheng laughed as Marinette ran out, down the stairs through the shop, past her dad, and out the door.

"Bye Dad!" Marinette called as she turned and ran down the sidewalk.

"Haha, have a good day!" Mr. Dupain called.

"Why in such a hurry?" Tikki asked.

"New year, new me. I'm not going to be late anymore." Marinette said as they ran up to the school, "plus, I just can't wait to see Adrien!"

"You saw him two days ago..." Tikki rolled her eyes.

"Well, I don't know. Just cut me some slack." Marinette said as she walked up the steps and through the doors. She was one of the few people there early in the morning, and it was all really new for her. She looked around and headed straight for her first class.

"What did I tell you? Class starts in 30 minutes." Tikki said as she sat in front of Marinette at the front desk, where Nino and Adrien usually sat.

"Ugh, I don't know what's going on with myself these days." Marinette groaned as she rested her head on her desk, "Ladybug's disoriented my brain..."

"Don't worry. Everything will be back to normal." Tikki reassured her, "you'll get used to being back to school."

"Yeah, i hope you're ri--"

Suddenly, the door opened and Kim and Max walked in. Tikki gasped and hid in Marinette's bag.

"Oh, hey Marinette!" Kim greeted, "you're here early."

"Yeah! New school year, new self, right?" Marinette smiled, "it's cool to see you're both in the same class again!"

"Yes, it's quite extraordinary." Max nodded as they headed to their old desks. Marinette peeked into her bag at Tikki.

"I just want to get out of here already." Marinette rolled her eyes.

"But you were here so early! How do you want to be at school so early, then go back home already?" Tikki giggled.

"You're right. I have to at least get through one day. Then tomorrow, I'll find an excuse to get out. Maybe Ladybug can--"

"Marinette."

Marinette jerked her bag shut and looked up to see Nino.

"Oh! Nino, hi!" Marinette chuckled nervously.

"Who are you talking to?"

"Uh....I-I-It's my phone." Marinette improvised as she pulled her phone from her bag.

"O-okay... Uh, so am I sitting with Alya now?"

"Oh yeah, sure, go for it!" Marinette smiled and nodded.

"Marinette!" Alya ran in and hugged Marinette, "so, You'll be sitting here this year?"

"Yep! With Adrien!" Marinette dazed.

"Yeah, Girl, that's pretty impressive you've been able to get him to date you the past year." Alya shook her head and smirked.

"Hey! It's.... Nothing. I just don't know how it happened." Marinette shrugged as Alya and Nino sat down.

Marinette looked at the time on her phone.

Five more minutes... Marinette thought to herself as she eyed the door. Chloe and Sabrina walked in at one point and ignored Marinette, but Adrien never came in.

____________________________

"How was your first day of school?" Mrs. Cheng asked when Marinette got home.

"It was fine. Normal." Marinette replied as she trudged up the stairs and to her room. She shut the door behind her and Tikki flew out.

"Where was Adrien today?" Marinette asked.

"I don't know. You should probably text him, or call him up."

"Good idea." Marinette pulled out her phone and dialed his number.

"Hello?"

"Adrien, it's Marinette."

"Hey, Mari. Sorry I wasn't at school today. More father issues."

"You'll be there tomorrow though, right?"

"We'll see." Adrien replied, and there was a short silence, "I miss you already, Mari."

"Me too. I was really looking forward to seeing you."

"Don't worry. We'll see each other soon." Adrien reassured her.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Marinette smiled to herself as she turned to Tikki, who nodded.

"I'm sure you've already got homework to do, so better get on that." Adrien laughed.

"You're right. I'll hopefully see you tomorrow then." Marinette giggled.

"Okay. Sleep well, Princess."

Marinette heard Adrien hang up the phone, but she still held the phone to her ear.

"...Marinette?" Tikki flew up to Marinette, who continued to hold the phone, staring out the window.

"... I love you."