Chapter 4 - Ice Cream & Essays

After Class - Freetime - Thursday - 4 Hours & 30 Minutes Until Curfew

May 15

Lanny's POV

"That's it." I finished bandaging up both Blaze and Aria, who were glaring at each other. Since the Wendy-colouring incident, Blaze proceeded to pronounce many names of the Vocaloids wrong, just to annoy Aria. Which would have been okay, but within that group, was Aria's Vocaloid crush, which was not okay. Not. Okay. Needless to say, there was a lot of wind and fire in the building, everybody had a panic attack because they thought the building was burning. "Nope. You two are staying far away from each other. I've had to heal three people today, and healing isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. Therefore, Blaze can go play football with Jasper, for three reasons: One, he's not going to try to make her mad, Two, he, of all people, knows how to put up with her fire attacks, and Three, he knows when it's an appropriate time to shut his face. And Aria is going to buy me ice-cream, because our hot chocolate plans were ruined by the stupid ball of plasma in the sky known as our sun."

"Why do I have to buy ice-cream?!" Aria protested, but I raised my hand to silence her.

"Because I just healed you, I could not be more broke, and I have put up with you ever since you were born. And probably before that too, considering our great-grandparents even knew each other."

"What about your card?!" You see, us Diviners are crazy spoiled, we're given everything we could want when we join the school. We got our own dorm, for pete's sake, and we got our phones. We got a majestic little magic thingy which is to transport us to a safe location if anything were to happen. Those are kept in the classroom though, guarded by Rana, as they are a one-time-use thing. And among all the other stuff, we got a card thing, with a certain amount of points on it, which we can use to buy things, and it will get charged to the school. We're only given a certain amount per month though, to keep us from overspending. But I don't see what we could even buy. We have everything we need here.  And it's all part of some plan. We could all leave this school if we wanted to, they can't legally keep us here, as none of us actually have a legal guardian in Gondoa. But the thirteen Diviners are super important, so they want us to stay in this school so we're 'protected'. It's weird.

"I spent all my points already."

"On what?!"

"Now, that ain't none of your business. I've got just as much right as you." (I literally just quoted a part of a song that I did for a Christmas play at church back in 2011..it was kind of a rap-battle type song...)

"Ugh fine. I'll buy the ice cream. But you're paying next time!"

"Fair enough."

Avon's POV

"So good with numbers, science, math I like. But I'm terrible at English, so I despise." Marigold sang. She stared at the lined paper where her essay was supposed to be, while humming a part of the song. Several seconds later, she continued, "And today, this homework, about me, a blank sheet. Accomplished, content with, this life I will now live. Till I think, why are we, just sometimes, no always, saying how we're sad and, saying how we're lonely."

I recognized that song almost immediately, as I know Aria, and that just so happens to be one of her favourite songs, even though she hated it at first. It's a Vocaloid song, sung by the most high-pitched 14-year-old ever to be known, but the version that my sister was singing, just so happened to be the English cover.

"Hey, by chance, do you need help?" I turned to her. Most of the group had already handed in the assignment.

"Why?"

"Because you're literally singing about how school lowers kids' self-esteem with low grades. And I'm not an idiot, so maybe the words 'I'm terrible at English, so I despise' might give a little hint that you might need help with your essay."

"Well, it's true! I couldn't do essays if my life depended on it! I have no idea what to write about!"

"Marigold, this is due on Monday."

"I know! You, Aria, Blaze, Noelle, Sachiko, Lucas, Vane, Elisia, and Jasper have already handed it in! And I'm still deciding on a topic!"

"Write about plants."

"I did that last essay."

"Write about cooking and its relation to alchemy."

"I did that a loooooong time ago."

"Write about the song you're singing."

"Ooooooh, good idea. I'm taking it." She started writing furiously on her paper, "Can you read it over when I'm done? I don't want any stupid mistakes."

"Fine, just, get it done. My job here, is to make sure you're okay, and that includes your grades. Now get to work." I pulled a random book off of her shelf and began reading it.

"Right."

A/N--Yo!

Yes, I put the song at the top, it's called The Lost One's Weeping, English Cover By JubyPhonic. No, that wasn't just an excuse to listen to Vocaloid while I work. Yes, the argument over the pronunciation of Vocaloid names took place IRL (still ignoring your kick messages, Dueck.) and no, it's not 2:45 in the morning what are you talking about?

・・・・・。

*\(^o^)/*

Bai!

~Ninja