Chapter 23 - Heartbreak

After Class - Performing Arts Room - Friday - Five Hours & 47 Minutes Until Curfew

May 30

Lanny's POV

I stood under the dim light, looking around, assessing my surroundings. There were moths flitting around overhead, and a near-empty vending machine buzzed nearby, but not many people were there so late in the evening. Aria stood next to me, playing with her bracelet. She didn't say anything, but I could easily tell what she was feeling.

Or maybe it's just what I was feeling. Every ounce of my being was screaming at me, telling me to take her by the hand and pull her closer to me. To kiss her once before she left.

The moon reflected off of a lone tear, falling down her cheek. "What's wrong?" I asked, and she looked at me with pleading eyes.

"I don't want to leave," she whispered. "I want to stay here, with you. You've helped me through everything, and I want so desperately to repay you. But here I am, standing with you, waiting for the train back home. I haven't repaid you, and I'll never see you again after tonight. And here you are, wasting your night away so I won't be lonely."

I brushed a loose strand of hair out of her face. "Aria," I assured, "time spent with you is never a waste. Even if we never meet again, you'll always be a fond memory." I looked wistfully out at the railway. I could see than her ride was on it's way, in the distance. "Recently," I started, "I've felt something, that no other person has made me feel. It's like I'm a chinook breeze, blowing through every obstacle I may face. I want to warm you with that breeze, to wrap my arms around you and claim you as my own. I've drawn the conclusion that I've fallen in love with you."

She looked away, "Lanny, I love you. I don't want to leave." In the distance, the train was getting closer. "But it's too late to go back now."

She stepped forward, getting ready for the train. Gently, I grabbed her hand, pulling her back. "At least say goodbye," I whispered. I brought our lips closer together, before the sound of clapping snapped me back to reality.

"Alright, you two, that'll be good." Our performing arts (or PA) teacher grinned at us from her desk at the back of the room. "That was a truly authentic performance. Outstanding!"

We both smiled as we turned and bowed to our audience; the rest of the PA class. Our assignment had been to create the most real romantic performance we could.

"Aw, dammit! I wanted it to be real!" Blaze pouted from the classroom doorway, with Rana, Jasper, and Avon. My face heated up. I had been unaware that they were watching our performance.

"No, Blaze, they wouldn't do that in front of anybody. Wait until they're alone. I'll pay you to get pictures of them kissing."

"Aw, sweet!" Blaze pumped her fist. "I'll just have to stalk them forever! I'll set up cameras!"

"You lowlife..." Avon muttered, earning a glare from Blaze.

"Excuse me, my ideas are great!" Blaze proclaimed, "You're just jealous that I was smarter than you for once!"

Avon opened his mouth to respond, but Rana broke them up, "Anyways, I'm going to have to borrow Aria for a while."