Chapter 22 - Chicken

During Class - Classroom -  Thursday -  12 Hours & 54 Minutes Until Curfew

May 29

Lucas's POV

Early in the morning is usually the quietest. Instead of thirteen loud teenagers running around, there's usually only Blaze and Marigold running around and being loud. Today, the class was filled with groans when Rana walked into the room in her pyjamas.

"I don't feel like teaching today," she announced, "We finished our final exams, so I technically have no obligation whatsoever to actually do my job. Free day today!"

This was followed by most of the students' excited laughs, and a few students' grumbles about getting up early for no reason.

Cough Cough ARIA Cough

I had no idea what I was going to do with my free time, so I went to the lobby, where we had the best lighting, and pulled out my sketchbook. I flipped to a blank page and began a new drawing. I had barely picked up the pencil when Elisia flopped down on the couch beside me.

"Whatcha drawing?" she asked, peering over my shoulder at my still blank page. "Can you teach me to draw like you do? You're so good at it."

"Umm..." I hesitated, "I guess, if you want me to..."

"Yay!" she cheered, "Wait here. I'm going to get my sketchbook."

"Okay,"

She ran up the stairs and out of my sight. Sighing, I looked back at my book, and started to draw.

I don't know why, but I love drawing people, especially portraits. I started the basic outline of the face, but Elisia came running back down the stairs at the speed of sound.

"Ooh!" she squealed when she saw my sketch, "Who're you drawing?"

"No one in particular. Just a person."

"Oh, okay." She turned to her own book and began to copy me and sketch out a basic face shape.

"Hey, look here for a second," I said, and continued my drawing when she complied.

"Why do you need me to look at you?"

"Because," I replied, "I'm using your face as a reference...because..." I struggled to find a good answer, "You have a good face shape...?"

"Wow!" Someone yelled from behind me. I turned around to see Lanny laughing at me from the top of the staircase, peering down. "The award for 'best flirter of the year' goes to Lucas, with 'you have a good face shape' Let's hear it for Lucas!"

"Shut up!" I yelled, dropping my book and running after the jerk. I reached the top of the staircase to find him lying on the floor, dying of laughter.

"I'll give you a hint, buddy. That's not how you pick up girls." He said, barely managing to calm down.

"Shut up," I repeated, "don't tease me."

"I'm not teasing," he sat up. "I'm giving relationship advice."

"You are not."