Chapter 24 - Interrogation

That feel when you have to make a random name for a character that's going to be in the book like, once. Also good job on the creativity, Ally.
Officer 1's POV

It was really late, around three in the morning. My wife and children were at home, and I wanted nothing more than to go see them. I would come back in the morning.

But, murder cases can't wait until morning.

The boy was sitting alone in the room, staring at his hands, folded in his lap. He didn't touch the table in front of him. He looked terrified.

I felt bad for taking him in for questioning so late at night, but he was the last person to see the victim before she died, so naturally, he was a prime suspect.

I walked in the nearly empty room, closing the door behind me with a loud thud. The boy jumped.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," I said. "Are you comfy? Have you been treated well?" I walked over and took a seat across from him at the table.

The boy nodded, not looking up. He was in pyjamas. The only thing he was able to do was throw on a hoodie.

"Hey," I leaned over lightly touched his shoulder. He slowly lifted his head until our eyes met. "You're not in any trouble. I just want to ask you a few questions."

He nodded again. "...Okay," he agreed quietly.

"Great," I smiled sympathetically. It must be scary for someone so young. I really didn't want to interrogate him. Still, I was glad that the kid was cooperating. It was a nice break from all the people trying to fight me on a daily basis.

"Please, get it over with." The kid was on the verge of tears. "I just want to go home..."

I sighed. May as well begin the questioning. "Our reports show that you were with Esther Heartlock on the night she was murdered. What were you doing?"

~
During Class - Monday - Diviner's Classroom - Time: 10:37am

June 2

Rana's POV

It was a quiet morning. Everyone was working on something. Not all of it was school related, but they were quiet, so I really didn't care. The only sound was rustling papers, pencils, and keyboard clicks.

Aria sat with her laptop open in front of her. She had one earbud in, but not the other. Every once in a while, she would switch, but only for a few seconds.

I walked over to her. She appeared to have some sort of audio editing software open. "What are you doing?" I asked.

She switched her earbuds again. "I'm making a slow version of a fast paced song," she replied, not bothering to look up.

I raised a brow. "For what?"

"Fun."

Aria didn't look interested in talking to me, so I made my way back to my desk.

There was a secret. There was a murder. A girl in the main school had died, only a few nights before. Rumours say that she had been on a date with Lanny and left, and I suppose it was confirmed early in the morning.

It is quite distressing to be woken up at two in the morning, only to be informed that one of your students is a prime murder suspect.

But of course, the other students didn't know. I really didn't need them to make assumptions and further damage Lanny's self confidence. I know for a fact that he's too sweet to hurt anybody. But I don't know if they know that. So as far as they were concerned, he was missing class due to undisclosed  reasons.

That is, until the police officer showed up for a second time.

He didn't even knock the second time. It was a surprise to all of us when he walked into our classroom unannounced, and with an exhausted looking Lanny at his side.

"Excuse me," he said, grabbing everyone's attention. "I hate to interrupt, but I need to take Aria in for questioning. Are you in the middle of something important?"

I saw Aria go pale as the room filled with the murmurs of her classmates.

Slowly, I shook my head in response to his question. "No, we're not doing anything; you can take her. Just please bring her back in one piece."

The officer nodded. "Noted. And you can have this one back." He motioned to Lanny, who looked like he was on the verge of tears.

"Okay," I said. Aria slowly stood up and left with the officer. The room went dead quiet.

Lanny took a few steps towards me. "You don't deserve this," I thought, "You're just a kid. You don't deserve to go through this."

He was standing directly in front of my before he started breaking down.

"It's all my fault..." he whispered, tears running down his face. "If I had stayed with her, she wouldn't be dead right now..."

I wrapped my arms around him, letting him cry on my shoulder. He meant a lot to me; they all did. They were the children I never had.

"Everything will be okay," I whispered, stroking his hair. "Now, go get some rest. You've been through a lot."

He nodded, walking off to his room.

I stood up. "Alright class, we're going to have to start acting much more vigilantly. Whoever is targeting us is trying new things. Everyone be on the lookout for danger."

The class's murmurs started again. One student asked, "Rana, what the hell is going on?"

I sighed, and began to explain the situation to them, answering questions to the best of my ability. I only had one thought on my mind:

I will protect you. I will take care of you. I will do a better job than I did with my own classmates. I promise.

A/N-- Guess who finally regained the ability to write chapters of normal length!

Yo!

So, filler chapters am I right? They're boring as hell but they're necessary.

So, the next few chapters should be out as soon as possible. I promise our update schedule will improve, just bear with us!

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter of average quality!

See ya!

~Ninja