Chapter 4: District 13 (Rory)

The angel has arrived. The stink of the room is horrible and the Prep Team and I are in bad conditions, but I'm sure she can fix us up. She always fixes things up. The smell and stench of the room is almost enough for me to pass out, and I do admit I'm almost there. I don't know what would have happened if she didn't show up.

Primrose gasps and rushes to my side.

"Rory! What happened, are you okay?"

My voice abandons me and I can't give her an answer. I'm in such a bad condition all I can really do is think. No moving, no talking. And soon my ears start to ring and I close my eyes, unable to function properly. All I can do is zone out and listen to their conversation, not fully comprehending the words I hear.

"Venia...what happened?" Katniss asks. The Prep Teams shrivels backwards when she reaches for them. I can't chastise them- we've been through a lot.

"They took us from the Capitol a few days ago, and after that they put us in this room. They gave us no food! We only stole a small piece of bread," she whimpers. The guard shouts,

"It was not a 'small piece of bread'. And there were incidents leading up to this!"

"I don't care what they did, this is no way to treat a fellow human!" Primrose shouts. She rarely uses that volume. But when she does, she's forceful and full of authority. That's my girl.

"What are they doing here," Prim asks in a stiff voice.

"I thought you would want your regular Prep Team. I didn't know they were being treated like this, I swear!" Plutarch yells in defense.

"I'm taking all of them to Mother."

"You have no authority to!"

I hate that guard. Luckily, Plutarch steps in.

"Oh but I do, and I command that you let them go."

I hear shuffling and unbolting of shackles. Then suddenly I'm lifted off the floor and I hear a few umphs and aaughs, then this:

"Rory, as much as I love you, you're kind of heavy."

Primrose. I groan, wondering how much more weight I could possibly lose. You can practically see my rib cages now.

"I was joking~," she singsongs. "You've lost way too much weight! What have they done to you! What have they done..."

Venia, Octavia, Flavius and I soon receive medical care from Mrs. Everdeen. Primrose couldn't trust us with any other doctor. I guess she shouldn't. Look what District 13 has done to us. To her, this must be a warning from Coin, not to get on her bad side. Honestly I don't know what I did to deserve this but I just know I was taken to the Capitol for about a week, recorded many interviews, then when I saw the Prep Team being taken away, took the chance and made it to Thirteen as a stowaway. Master plan really, until I got trapped in the horrible cell and withered there like a dying flower.

"Rory, you have no permanent physical injuries but we will be putting you on a special diet to restore your weight," Mrs. Everdeen tells me, sadness written all over her face.

"Thank you for doing this."

"Anything for a friend of Prim."

For the next few hours, I get to do absolutely nothing other than lay down in the hospital bed in my hospital gown and think about all that's going on. That is, until 6:00PM. The nurse was kind enough to tell me it was reflection time for everyone but they've called a meeting where everyone is required to attend. Even patients. So they take me in my bed to the Collective, a large room that easily holds the whole population of Thirteen. The idea that their district is alive still stumps me but go figure. Life has brought upon many surprises these past few years.

"Rory, hey," Prim says, her face smiling but full of sadness, just like her mother.

"Hey, Primrose," I reply, my voice scratchy.

"So um here's what's up. I've agreed to be their Mockingjay under some conditions that Coin's going to be announcing soon."

"I want to do it with you."

"What?"

"I want to do it with you," I repeat. "I want to be your sidekick."

She laughs and asks, "Really? You'd want that?"

"Yeah sure, why not? Spend time with my favorite girl..."

She blushes and it's pretty adorable. I would ruffle her hair but I still can't move that well.

"I'll tell Coin to add that in the deal, you get to be my sidekick."

"Thanks, means a lot to me," I say 'seriously' before cracking a smile. Prim goes off to find Coin and I'm left smiling on my hospital table.

If there's one thing I learned about Thirteen, it's that they don't waste anything. Not even words. Coin's speech is concise- short and clear. She announces that Prim has agreed to be the Mockingjay under the conditions that I along with the other victors are granted immunity, and will not be held accountable for the damage we bring upon to this rebel cause. This causes the crowd to erupt in dissent. And poor Prim, who's come back to my side, receives angry looks. But she stands strong, and I admire her for that. Inside she must be crumbling. She's just a little girl

"But, these conditions will be followed as long as Ms. Everdeen follows our side of the deal, to perform as the Mockingjay. Any form of disobedience against this will be seen as a breach in the agreement and the conditions will no longer stand, meaning the victors including Ms. Everdeen will be judged according to District 13 laws. That is all."

It takes only a few seconds for her words to settle in. We step out of line, and we're all dead.

~A/N~ I told you I'd post another chapter :D

I really have no idea when the next one will be up but I'll try to do a chapter each week, preferably over the weekend. My goal is 10 chapters before summer break.

Thank you so much for the support! It's only the fourth chapter and there're like....500+ reads and 100+ comments. I'm really happy. Also, I recently hit 300 followers so thank you guys all so much for that :)

See you next week!

-Monica