Chapter 18: The Beginning of the End (Prim)

We live, breath, eat training. Everyday is a new day of workouts, drills, weapon practices, and lectures on tactics. Before we know it, Johanna and I are enrolled in an additional class for war hopefuls. There, we go through something called S.S.C. which stands for stimulated street combat, better known as the Block. It's an artificial Capitol, built deep in the heart of Thirteen. During the simulations, we need to gain positions, destroy targets, and find a home. It's pretty legit. There's a sniper on a rooftop, our guns jam, and a child leads us into an ambush...that was cruel. Sometimes our squadron leader, which is just a voice, get's hit by a mortar and you're on your own. We know it's fake but it seems so real. It might as well be, because once, some gas is released, and everyone is knocked out expect for Johanna and I.

"It's you and me, Baby Mockingjay," she says. "You and me 'till the end of the world."

Cressida and the crew tape Johanna and I during our training. Finnick, Gale, Peeta and Katniss are being filmed somewhere too. Then starting one day, Rory start's showing up for training. It's "all for the cameras", they say.

Day by day, the war get's real. Equipment and provisions are given out. Divisions are assembled. When someone get's orders they get a short haircut. One day, Johanna and I are called for an exam. Noah didn't make it but he's excited to stay behind with Beetee and help with the weapons.

"This is it," I say as Johanna and I walk side by side.

"You're not worried are you?" she says with a smirk.

"Not at all."

The test is in four parts. The first three seem easy. An obstacle course to check our physical condition, a written tactic exam, and a check up on our weapon proficiency. The final part is a stimulated combat situation at block. You go through it alone and it target's your weaknesses. I have no idea what mine are...I'm weak in pretty much every area...always too small, always too frail.

As expected, I go through the first three parts with no problems. The block is what trips me up. I have to fight in hand-to-hand combat. I get hit around by Peacekeepers until I finally realize I can't win like this. There has to be another way. And there sure is. I notice a drum of gasoline in a gutter. I have to blow it up. That must be the test. Just when I'm about to, my instructor, who's been useless so far, tells me to hit the ground. I groan but comply.

Maybe that's my weakness, I think, I can't follow instructions.

Sure enough, someone else blows up the drum and the simulation ends. I get a stamp on my hand for Squad 451, and am told to report to Command. I squeal all the way there.

I realize they didn't shave me, and it scares me a bit. What if I'm not a real soldier? When I get to Command there's Boggs and Plutarch. My fear increases.

Boggs takes one look at my hand then says, "Welcome to the squad!"

Gale, Finnick, Katniss, and five other soldiers are present. There's a flat panel at the center of the table and I have to get on my tip toes to see it. Just when I'm thinking it's a horrible way of presenting, Plutarch waves his hand over it and a hologram pops up.

The hologram turns out to be a representation of a block in the Capitol, displaying its 'pods'. They're different traps that are designed to capture or kill the enemy, from sticky tar that's impossible to escape to a pack of mutts that tear you to your death. I didn't know I moved until I find myself in front of the image. Finnick materializes by my side as well. No one else get's it. Only a victor would see what we see. The arena.

"Ladies and gentlemen..." I start. Finnick chimes in as we finish together, "Let the seventy-sixth Hunger Games begin!"

People give us questioning glances but Boggs tells us to get back in line. I concentrate as Plutarch continues. If this was a test for Finnick and I, we would have totally passed because we concentrate with so much intensity. By the end we know everything we need to that will help us penetrate enemy territory. I'm about to leave when they ask me to stay for a special order. I panic 'cause I think they might kick off from the squad. Turns out they just don't want to cut my hair.