Chapter 26: Finally Dead (Prim)

When I come out, Paylor is standing where I left her.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" she asks. I show her the flower.

"Yes, thank you," I say and leave hurriedly.

There are two possibilities...I would not want to believe either one of them but Snow is right. Coin did what he said. She waited as the districts and Capitol destroyed each other then stepped up into power. Could Snow be right for once? Coin had everything she wanted, everything in her grasp...all but me. And by getting Katniss killed, I'm silent and she get's to rule on.

Everyone I trust is dead. Cinna, Boggs, Finnick, Katniss...I have no one to confirm my suspicions with. That only leaves Noah but he's the other someone who might have helped kill my sister for that matter. This leaves stinking Haymitch. We may not always be eye-to-eye on things but he is my mentor.

I get up, walk to his room, and knock. He doesn't open up. Of course.

"Haymitch, open up!" I shout, banging on the door. Silence. I barge in and am shocked by how big of a mess he's made in so little time. Broken bottles of liquor are everywhere accompanied by files and dirt. I sigh and pour water on his head. He gets up, shaking his knife. The war has done no good for him. His horrors haven't ended.

"Haymitch!" I shout.

"What the Snow, why am I wet? At least you found your voice...Plutarch will be happy."

"Haymitch, I need your help."

"Boy problems?"

I grit my teeth at what he says and just leave. I'm in no mood to be joked around with. He calls after me but I don't respond. I hear a thump and I know he's trying to follow me. I hide in a wardrobe, pulling down clothes from the hangars and piling them into a pile, hiding like a butterfly in a cocoon. At first it's nice and cozy but by nighttime, it's suffocating and I start to have nightmares. I'm thrashing and screaming when the guard find me. I try to fight them but they peel off the clothes and say they're helping me. I let them.

They take me to a bath with three steps. It's deep and seems so relaxing. I thank the guards, undress, and sink into the warm water. I close my eyes and imagine I'm 7 years old at the lake in Twelve, with Father and Katniss. A smile forms on my face as I think of the good old days when life was good. Why does everything have to go corrupt?

I'm drying myself when the door opens.

"Surprise!" Octavia exclaims, entering with the rest of my prep team. She breaks down and starts crying. They all try to hide their shock at the state of my skin. Flavius says a quick "hello" as he puts me in a robe. He winces, but I tell him it's fine. Nevertheless, they treat me like I'd break if they press too hard. They tell me they will get me to beauty base zero. That's why Octavia is crying. It's impossible.

The door opens once more and I'm greeted by none other than Effie Trinket. She's almost the same except now there's a vacant look in her eyes. They told me she was taken by the Capitol after my escape from the arena...

"Hello Primrose, how are you doing?" she asks. It's like no time has passed since I've last seen her before the Quell. "We have a big big day ahead of us. How about you start with your prep team while I go check the arrangements?"

My prep team and I head over to a remake room where they tell me they're the only prep team alive. I wonder who killed all the other prep teams. Does it matter?

Venia, Octavia and Flavius fix me up, starting with nails then moving onto hair and finally my skin. When I'm in my Mockingjay suit, almost no scars show. Octavia secures my pin over my heart. I look so normal outside, yet inside I'm slowly dying.

Knock knock. Someone walks in. It's Noah.

"Can I have a minute?" he asks. My prep team bumps into each other as they scramble into the bathroom.

"For you," he tells me once they're gone. He hands me my sling and an explosive stone. I take it.

"You didn't come for me in the hospital," I tell him, not quite meeting his eyes. "Was it your bomb?"

"I don't know, neither does Beetee. It doesn't matter. I know you blame me."

My silence is a sufficient answer for him. He just requests, "Shoot straight for me, okay?"

After a few minutes, Effie takes me to a meeting. Peeta, Johanna, Beetee, Haymitch, Annie, Enobaria and Rory are present.

"What is this?" I ask.

"It appears we're the only living victors," Haymitch answers.

"We're all that's left?"

"Price of celebrities. Targeted from both sides," Beetee explains.

"What's she doing here?" Johanna asks, pointing at Enobaria.

"She's protected under the Mockingjay Deal," Coin says, entering the room. "Primrose has upheld her side of the deal, so I shall hold up my end of the bargain as well."

As expected, Coin gets seated and get's straight to the point.

"You have been gathered to discuss an important matter. After long consideration, we have come up with a possible punishment for those of the Capitol. Killing off the whole Capitol district would bring damage to our population, and killing off just a few would not be sufficient. Here is our proposed idea: One last Hunger Games with children of the Capitol. We will be using children that were close to Snow, such as his granddaughter. We will take a vote, no one can abstain. In the case of a tie, we will bring in Noah who is an unofficial victor.

"No way," Rory begins.

"I'm with Rory," Peeta says. "I vote no."

Johanna is the first to say yes. "Why not, it seems fair."

"Me too," Enobaria agrees apathetically. "Let them have a taste of their own medicine."

"No, no! This is why we rebelled!" Rory argues. "Annie?"

"I vote no with Rory. Finnick would say the same if he were here."

"Except he's not because Snow's mutts killed him," Johanna fires back.

"I say no," Beetee says after long consideration. "We have to stop seeing each other as enemies. It will set a bad precedent."

It's down to Haymitch and I now. I know my answer. I just need to know his.

"I say yes, for Katniss."

It's silent, and in that moment Haymitch and I look at each other.

Finally he says, "I'm with the Mockingjay."

And that's when I know he's truly like me. Effie brings in Noah and I know his answer for sure. The recent events have made him cruel and brutal inside; of course he wants revenge. He confirms my thoughts, saying, "I vote yes."

"Excellent, we'll proceed with the execution and the Capitol Games now."

In just an hour we're all gathered in the City Circle. The victors, Coin, the citizens of the Capitol. There's an excited vibe in the air and the atmosphere is loud as everyone watches what happens at the front where I stand. Coin steps out and a cheer goes up. Effie gives me a slight shove and I enter to the main stage, where I will carry out the execution. Snow stands at a terrace, and the distance is so short that I know I won't miss. Rue taught me well. I position and aim for him. For Katniss...

He coughs up blood and it runs down his chin. His eyes show no emotion but I can still hear him in my head. "Oh Ms. Everdeen, I thought we agreed not to lie to each other."

And he's right. We did. I switch targets, release, and Coin collapses. She falls over the side of the balcony, and drops to the floor, dead.

~A/N~ Just one last chapter, ah! I can't believe the whole journey is coming to an end...

My question for you: Would you vote yes to the Capitol Games? Why or why not? Let me know down below...I would say no!

-Monica