Chapter 16: Baby Mockingjay is Back! (Prim)

I'm not dead. Somehow the bullet didn't kill me. Somehow I'm sitting in bed as Johanna steals my morphling.

"I've been taking some while the doctors weren't watching," she tells me blatantly, "they think I'll be addicted like those from 6 and cut me off, hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind, you can have as much as you want," I say. She's back from being tortured at the Capitol. Of course I don't mind.

Johanna grins and hooks herself up, sighing when the morphling enters her body.

"Maybe 6 isn't a bad life, drugging yourself to be happy and painting flowers on your skin," she says. It reminds me of the morphlings from 6. I shudder, thinking Johanna may become like one of them. After a second she adds, "I'm just joking."

"But you know what's really funny? The doctor tells me about twenty times a day, you're totally safe."

We laugh.

"How about you, Baby Mockingjay, feeling totally safe?"

Down here I'm a Baby Mockingjay!

"I did until I was shot," I laugh.

"Oh please, it didn't even touch you. Credits to Cinna."

"I feel like I'm really hurt though, almost like I lost an organ. Or broke a rib."

"Accurate much, little medic...Bruised ribs and you lost your spleen. They think it doesn't matter though, and if they did, they'd get one for ya."

"Is that why you hate me so much?"

"Jealously? That's part of it...Then there's your game act, pretending to be all innocent and pure, except that it isn't an act. Feel free to take this personally."

"You should be the mockingjay," I tell her with a small smile, "you have all the lines."

"That would be nice, but no one likes me."

"But they trusted you to get me out of the arena. And they seem to fear you. That's respect isn't it?"

She just sighs and tilts her head towards the door. "Mister back-from-the-dead is here, I better go." She detaches herself from the morphling and hooks me up.

"Noah!" I exclaim when I see him at the door. "How's Rory?"

"Not so great," he says, "the relapses are pretty bad. He can't remember some things, almost like he's starting to get amnesia, and he's gone a bit...delusional. Getting worse, they say."

"Oh no..."

For a second he lingers at the door but then decides to come in. "Mind if I climb in?"

He just came back from the dead, I don't mind. "Nah."

"You're not gonna ask how I am?"

"Aha, well, how are you?" I ask.

"Great, thanks for asking."

He puts his arm around my shoulder.

We talk about the old tributes and I can't help but smile. We laugh a lot and we get along pretty well considering that he 'died' and I just got shot the other day. It hurts to laugh and I hold my stomach, and so eventually he has to leave.

"Everyone thinks you're dead. It's time to show them you're not."

Cressida and her team file in and I'm so happy to see them. I show off my stitches and bruises, saying that the districts are all united now, and that the Capitol better watch out. It's short but get's me back into my Mockingjay routine. Baby Mockingjay is coming back!