Chapter 24: Explosions (Prim)

My feelings for Rory were real. Not everything was for the Games...

We have a predawn breakfast upstairs. It's great to be out. The screen is running some Capitol footage when Beetee cuts in. Everything is going great. But I remember in my first Games, when things started getting better, they'd always get ten times worse.

The rebels' battle progress is displayed on the television set. They have taken unoccupied automobiles and sent them down streets, clearing the streets of whatever pods are left. They create three different lines to the mansion named A, B and C. If Johanna were here, she would have made a comment on how creative the names were.

"We all the know the plan won't work for long though. Once the Capitol realizes what they're doing, they'll deactivate the pods and make them work manually, killing off rebels when they approach," Katniss says. We all nod. It's true. Beetee hands the broadcast over to the Capitol and a grim news reporter tells civilians to evacuate. Meanwhile, I mark the areas the rebels have gone through on a paper map.

I look out the window through the shutters. Refugees pour down the streets to Snow's mansion. Children, elders, women and men alike. The sight reminds me of people dying in the bombing in Twelve. I leave the window, shuddering.

Tigris, who has been very kind to us, volunteers to go spy on what's happening since she's the only one who has no bounty over her head. She leaves and I start to wonder about Coin. Will she live up to her deal? Immunity for the victors...After seeing Rory sending Mitchell into a pod, I'm not so sure. We lounge around in the underground hole for the whole afternoon. A long time passes and I start worrying that Tigris has been killed or is turning us all in for the bounty. She returns soon after and I feel guilty about the thought.

"Yum..."

We all drool a little at the smell she carries in with her. She's brought us a pan of steaming hot, chopped potatoes and ham. We haven't had hot food in so long and dig in like savages as she tells us how she acquired the food. Apparently fur underwear is a popular trade item now as many refugees ran away without proper clothing despite the harsh weather.

After the delicious meal, we gather around at the back of the store to discuss the war. Tigris spills on how house guests are starting to be assigned. Peacekeepers come into houses, sometimes breaking in, and forcing people to take in refugees into their houses. Snow has requested they be kind and enthusiastic about sharing their homes during the crisis. Temperatures are dropping below freezing and shop keepers may have to open up as well. This brings us to the point that Tigris will have to start taking in people soon, whether she wants it or not. We have only one or two days until they come.

Rory and I volunteer to wash the dishes. After hearing him talk to Gale last night, I knew I would really need to talk to him.

"It wasn't for the games, the way I acted," I start. I scrub at a dish furiously as if it will give me a solution if I rub it hard enough. Rory's response is short and to the point.

"You don't need to lie to me, my feelings have already been hurt."

I sigh. He thinks I'm lying.

"You really think I like Noah, huh."

"Of course I do. That's why I saved him for you."

"What do you mean?" I ask, perplexed.

"I thought he would make you happy again. So I saved him for you."

"Rory...I was only unhappy because you seemed so upset at your brother's appearance on TV."

We scrub in silence for a moment, the suds taking over with their soft popping noises.