Chapter 6: Sweet Little Fighter (Rory)

Everyone knew Prim couldn't be the Mockingjay alone. Not after Haymitch's hurtful comment. I tried to encourage her, telling her she did fine but we all knew it wasn't true. And we all agreed that me being the second mockingjay would be a wonderful thing. It took the whole morning to truly convince Coin but in the end, we did it.

Now, we're gathered at a table in Command- Coin and her minions, Plutarch and his assistant Fulvia, my prep team, Haymitch, Katniss, and some random others like Greasy Sae, Finnick, Beetee, and a cattle expert from District 10, Dalton. At first I assume Coin gathered all of us, but it's Haymitch that delivers the opening words and welcomes us all. He's smaller and skinnier than the last time I've seen him, and I don't know if I should feel bad for him. Prim seems to lack a liking for him.

"-of a moment when Prim has genuinely moved you."

Haymitch's voice breaks through my thoughts. For a moment everyone is silent. Then Boggs, whom I thought was just Coin's servant, speaks up. "When she tended the wounded during the Quell."

Everyone nods in agreement. Prim looks down at her feet like the attention is making her uncomfortable. She's been in front of tons of cameras, but that doesn't make it any less weird for her to be the center of attention. She's always been like that since forever. I clear my throat and contribute to the conversation. "When she rescued Mags from the water, during the Quell."

"Good," Haymitch replies and notes it down on his notepad. After that it's moment after moment and I think back to before everything happened. It's almost impossible with the new life we have now.

"-in common with all those moments is that they're all original. They came from her. They weren't scripted." Haymitch's voice breaks through again.

"I don't think that's it," I blurt out. All eyes turn to me. I take in a breath and explain. "I don't think the fact that they were unscripted is the only factor. I think...I think the moments that moved us most were...were when she was truly herself. Not the fighter that the Capitol created her into, but the sweet, little girl from District 12."

Everyone seems to consider the thought and many of them nod. Even Haymitch.

"I suppose the boy is right. Anyhow, I think that the best thing for us to do is to place her in a real situation. See how things go, and hopefully her real nature surfaces. The recent bombings in Eight has left the district in some bad conditions. We should take her there."

The committee discusses it, then Coin finalizes it.

"Beetee, arm her with weapons, and get her into costume while you're at it. I'll have a camera crew assembled for the occasion and Haymitch will be in the air, supervising it all. I'm certain this concludes everything?"

"One more thing," I say. "Wash her face...you make her look thirty-five with all the makeup caked on her face."

After everyone's dismissed, Haymitch asks for a private word with Prim. I go out to give them their space. But once don't come out for a while, I look around to see if anyone is watching, then press my ear against the door of the room.

"-you didn't save Rory!"

"You let him out of your sight!"

I pull away in surprise. They're talking about me. I let that sit in then lean in once more.

"One thing's for sure, we're still in the game, and I'm your mentor."

Next stop- armory with Beetee. Prim and I go down together and I'm glad to have her to myself for once. We both get armed in some cool stuff like a vest that protects our vital organs, gas masks for emergencies, and earpieces that connect to our collar. Then Prim puts on her super cool slingshot set. "Right for fire, left for explosives, and the middle for regular," Beetee reminds her. I don't get a special weapon. My weapon is my voice. I have to rely on Prim for this one. She may be a sweet girl inside but she's also a fighter now.