Rip's Plans Suck

Savage is the mayor of Artem-sorry no that's wrong, Regal City.

My father is undersecretary to him and learning new things everyday from the maniac. No wonder he went insane.

Rip has explained the situation to everyone on the main deck but excluded the part about how my father is a power hungry lunatic. And a serial killer. Right now everyone thinks he's my picture perfect dad who's death I must be heartbroken about.

In reality, I don't give a crap about his death. He's the arrogant clod who destroyed my life. But the others aren't to know that.

It might "affect their willingness to participate in the mission" according to Rip. Yes I would expect the knowledge that the man they're saving is a serial killer might affect their "willingness to participate" in the rescue.

"Alright!" Rip says clapping his hands together.

Everyone turns back to Rip giving him their full attention. Apart from Snart who is looking steadily at me trying to make eye contact. I tactfully evade his eyes and focus on Rip.

"After much thought and deliberation, I have decided that we will be staying in the city rather than on the ship for the duration of this mission. Also," Rip pauses and drops his eye contact with everyone to stare at the control panel, "due to lack of room in nearby hotels we are going to have to pair up."

Oh this plan just keeps getting better and better.

Irritated mumbles make their way around the table as Rip looks back up at Kendra.

"Miss Saunders will be with Mr. Palmer."

The pair look at each other and smile happily. Rip turns his gaze towards Jax who frowns.

"Mr. Stein with Mr. Jackson."

Jax makes a face and turns to Stein.

"You got to be kidding me."

Stein sighs heavily as Rip steams ahead.

"Miss Lance will be with myself."

Dread seeps through me as I mentally tick off everyone one he's named. My eyes flick towards Snart and the idiot has a small smirk on his face as we makes eye contact.

"And that leaves Miss Jones with Mr. Snart," Rip finishes glancing between Snart and I.

I suck in a deep breath.

This is gonna be just peachy.

"There is no need to be anxious this mission should be a success. However if we fail-"

"I get vaporized from history," I supply in a mock giddy tone.

Kendra sends me a look that says "you'll be fine" but I don't really believe her. This mission is a mistake. It has too many emotional attachments to me.

Sensing someone's eyes on me I look back up and see Lenny watching me through narrowed eyes.

He frowns suspiciously but I ignore him and look away.

"I suggest you all get ready. We leave in an hour," Rip says in a dismissive tone.

We all file out of the room each to his/her own room. I slip past Stein and Jax who are arguing over snoring. Snart spots me but I quickly manage to lose him around the next corner. Someone's foot steps match mine and I let out a slow breath.

"Snart, if you don't leave me alone right now I'm going to-"

"To what? Doodle on his gun again?"

I whip around and see Sara smirking at me.

"Never mind," I mutter stopping in front of the silver door leading to our bunks.

"Look," she says casually leaning against the door, effectively blocking my path inside, "I get that you're upset that Mick is dead and that we're screwing with your timeline but maybe this is the one. Maybe we can save your dad and kill Savage all in one go."

I snort derisively and push past her as the door slides open.

"You didn't strike me as an optimist, Sara."

She laughs following me inside.

"I'm not. But hey if it get you out of this newly found depression then sure I'll be anything you want."

I grab my duffle bag and pull out a smaller handbag from a pouch on the side. Stuffing it with clothes and other necessities I glance up at her.

"I'm not depressed. I just don't like where this mission is headed."

Sara snags an apple from my bag and leaps up into one of the bunks. She begins swinging her legs to and fro whilst looking down at me.

"Why?" She asks through a mouthful of fruit.

I shrug unsure of how much to divulge.

"Just seems like a bad idea. What if we end up not saving my dad, or we accidentally prevent him from meeting my mum or-"

"None of that's gonna happen," Sara chomps, "Think of it this way, we already know the mission succeeds because you're still here."

I bite my lip then decide to use one of Rip's lines.

"The future is always in flux. Nothing is cemented in time."

"The past is!" She calls throwing the apple core at my head, "Don't give me that crap, Kari! You'll be fine. We'll save your dad, maybe kill Savage and go home."

She lies on her back staring up at the grey ceiling. I stay silent hoping this will conversation will go away and stuff a box of pop tarts in my bag as well. My bag begins to bulge, nearly preventing me from being able to pull the zipper across and I end up having to fight the bag the entire time.

"There's something else."

I let go of my obese bag and glance back up at Sara who is sitting up and staring down at me again.

"There's another reason you don't want to go on the mission," she says eyeing me shrewdly.

I hold her gaze and mutter,

"It just seems like a bad idea that's all."

She scoffs and jumps down crossing her arms; disbelief etched across her face.

"Nope that's not it. You're hiding something," she says tilting her head to the left, "Spill."

I shake my head and pull the bag strap over my uninjured arm.

"Drop it, Sara."

I turn towards the door when her fingers wrap around my injured shoulder.

"Kari, tell me," she says in a deathly quiet voice.

I hiss in pain and she lets go. I glance over my shoulder at her through slitted eyes.

"Ever thought that maybe I don't want to save my father?"

"What?" She asks wrinkling her nose in confusion.

I step out of the room without looking back

"Ask Rip."

AN-

~Three Days Till Civil War~
If you live in the USA